North Korea says South's military drills won't draw retaliation | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

North Korea says South's military drills won't draw retaliation

Tom Lasseter - McClatchy Newspapers

December 20, 2010 07:36 AM

BEIJING — South Korea’s government remained on emergency alert Monday night for possible retaliation after staging more than an hour of live artillery exercises on the island that North Korea shelled last month.

The artillery fire took place on Yeonpyeong Island, some seven miles off North Korea’s coastline, and lasted about 90 minutes, adding to tensions on the Korean Peninsula, which are widely seen as being at their worst in decades.

North Korea released an official statement Monday evening that said it wouldn't respond, but Pyongyang’s history of erratic behavior made it impossible to evaluate how long that position would last. As recently as Saturday, North Korea had threatened “decisive and merciless punishment" should the South hold the drills.

The brinksmanship came amid reports that North Korea is willing to allow U.N. nuclear inspectors to return and has offered to sell some 12,000 plutonium fuel rods to the South.

The offer was reported by CNN, which had journalists traveling with New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson on a State Department-sanctioned trip to Pyongyang. It received a cool reception in Seoul, which decided to send the artillery shells crashing into the contested waters of the Yellow Sea.Despite Richardson’s apparent success, it remained unclear Monday how the crisis will be defused.

China, Pyongyang’s main ally, has refused so far to pressure North Korea publicly to curtail its behavior.

Last-minute negotiations at a meeting of the United Nations Security Council fell apart Sunday when Beijing blocked efforts to admonish Pyongyang for its Nov. 23 Yeonpyeong shelling, which killed two civilians and two South Korean marines.

The U.S. and its two main partners in the region, South Korea and Japan, have banded together more closely in the face of North Korea’s actions along with worries about the rising power of Beijing.

North Korea's attack on Yeonpyeong Island and the torpedoing of a South Korean warship in March, which killed 46, have significantly dampened any willingness in Seoul for diplomacy.

Many observers in South Korea think that behind-the-scenes developments in North Korea are fueling the incidents this year.

North Korea is thought to want the international community to return to the negotiating table, in hopes that it will lead to aid for the impoverished country. At the same time, the regime of Kim Jong Il wants to burnish the military credentials of his inexperienced heir apparent, should Kim die soon.

Analysts and officials in Seoul reacted warily Monday to North Korea's talk of nuclear inspections, which they said appeared to be an attempt to get the United States, South Korea and Japan to rejoin negotiations known as the six-party talks along with China and Russia.

South Korea now sees the past six-party talks as providing cover for North Korea to continue developing its nuclear weapons programs. Last month, North Korea unveiled a sophisticated uranium-enrichment facility, adding to the South’s suspicions.

“Even if (North Korea) were to accept the IAEA inspectors, we will have to make an overall assessment based on how much access is given to the inspectors and what the North's intentions were,” a South Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman, Kim Young-sun, said Monday, according to the Yonhap news agency. He was referring to the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. body that inspects nuclear facilities.

Without knowing whether North Korea is serious about allowing unfettered inspections, the IAEA conversation “may be quite meaningless,” Lee Dong-bok, a Seoul analyst and former South Korean intelligence official, told McClatchy in a phone interview.

Should inspectors be allowed into North Korea and taken to nuclear sites, the U.S., South Korea and Japan probably would still want to pore over the resulting reports before committing to six-party meetings, said Hideshi Takesada, the executive director for research and international affairs at a Japanese Defense Ministry institute.

For now, the artillery display on Monday underscored the South’s resolve not to tolerate more aggression from Pyongyang, said Lee, the analyst.

“By undertaking these exercises this afternoon we have told the North Koreans it’s not going to be like it has,” Lee said. “They are going to pay dearly if they decide to come back with another round of military provocations.”

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Follow Tom on Twitter

Follow China developments at McClatchy's China Rises blog

North Korean shelling turns South's shrugs into worries

South Korean military renews threat to retaliate against North

China remains passive as Korean standoff escalates

North Korea succession plans prompt fears of turmoil

Sixty years after war broke out, Korean peninsula still in limbo

South Korea condemns North over torpedoing, halts trade

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

S. Korea's dilemma? North's unschooled masses, not nukes

December 15, 2010 03:24 PM

world

North Korean shelling turns South's shrugs into worries

December 09, 2010 04:47 PM

world

South Korean military renews threat to retaliate against North

December 09, 2010 08:12 AM

world

China remains passive as Korean standoff escalates

December 03, 2010 03:23 PM

world

South Korean leader belatedly denounces North Korean attack

November 29, 2010 05:11 PM

world

U.S. counting on China's influence to curb North Korea

November 24, 2010 06:26 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service