N. Korean troops say they cheered as artillery struck S. Korean island | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

N. Korean troops say they cheered as artillery struck S. Korean island

Ethan Kim - Los Angeles Times

December 28, 2010 08:04 AM

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korean soldiers bragged on state-run television about their heroics during the attack on South Korea's Yeonpyeong Island last month that killed four people.

Marking the 19th anniversary last week of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il's appointment as supreme military commander, four soldiers who appeared to have taken part in the shelling are seen describing the Nov. 23 attack.

"We cheered and congratulated our victory as we saw pillars of fire lighting up from our bombardments," Kim Chul Nam says.

Pyongyang alleges that South Korea fired first into its territory during a routine military drill. Seoul, however, maintains that its artillery guns were aimed southwest, away from North Korea.

On Monday, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak called on his people not to fear a war with the North. In his biweekly radio address, he said fear was "never helpful in preventing war. If we are firmly determined to brave any risks, we can fend off any emerging threats."

"We have now been awakened to the realization that war can be prevented and peace assured only when such provocations are met with a strong response," he said.

Lee's comments came a day after the government-run Institute for National Security Strategy in Seoul released a report warning that North Korea could next year carry out an invasion of Yeonpyeong and other islands in the Yellow Sea.

The report said that a competition for leadership within the military to show loyalty for Kim Jong Il could embolden the North, which is also expected to conduct a third nuclear test. In recent days, North Korea has threatened to launch a "sacred" nuclear war against the South.

Tension on the divided peninsula has been rising since North Korea unleashed nearly 200 shells on Yeonpyeong Island, killing two South Korean marines and two civilians.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service