Brazil sends peacekeepers into Rio's favelas | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Brazil sends peacekeepers into Rio's favelas

Taylor Barnes - The Miami Herald

December 29, 2010 07:07 AM

It's 9 a.m., and just a few uniformed Brazilian soldiers remain at a base camp in a crumbling Coca-Cola factory 20 minutes away from Rio's international airport. Most of the 800 soldiers in this parachute brigade are already out on patrol.

That they've been stationed in the city -- in a cluster of favelas known as Complexo do Alemao that has been the scene of frequent drug battles and shootouts with police -- is highly unusual.

But it comes after an unprecedented series of events that reached a climax last month. As police continued a two-year campaign to crack down on lawlessness in a select group of the city's favelas -- or shantytowns -- gangs moved out of their home turf and began looting and burning vehicles across the city.

The state of Rio de Janeiro responded by calling in the army and Navy tanks after more than 100 taxis, cars and buses were stopped and set afire. Some 2,400 troops from Brazil's parachute brigade assisted in the favela offensive.

But starting this week, the military's role enters a new phase.

Police will answer to the military, and Brazil will place a new peacekeeping force in the sprawling northern favelas of Complexo do Alemao and Penha. Their mission will be similar to that carried out by the 1,300 Brazilian troops in Haiti and smaller forces in Sudan, East Timor and Nepal.

Essentially, they'll serve as an occupation force inside Brazil itself.

The plan is to put 2,000 soldiers on the streets daily and keep them there until October. In recent weeks, 800 soldiers have rotated in every third day.

While Brazil's hosting of the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics two years later might seem distant, the country knows it must deal with unbridled crime in the favelas now.

While some say bringing in the army is an extra tool to create order, critics say the strategy focuses on petty criminals rather than their bosses and still doesn't address the demand side of the drug trade.

``For we Brazilians, especially being from Rio, there's an emotional side in contributing to the security of our own country [in an area] that had been without intervention from the state for years,'' said Maj. Fabiano Lima de Carvalho, the parachute brigade's communications official.

About half of the troops in Complexo do Alemao and Penha have already done peacekeeping tours in Haiti, he said.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Brazil uses its peacekeeping troops to pacify Rio de Janeiro

December 24, 2010 07:02 AM

world

Former student radicals poised to lead Brazil

September 30, 2010 07:43 PM

economy

Report: China, Brazil are fueling world economy's growth

October 07, 2010 06:58 AM

HOMEPAGE

Coverage of Latin America from The Miami Herald

February 09, 2009 11:38 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service