N. Korea calls for peace, warns of 'nuclear holocaust' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

N. Korea calls for peace, warns of 'nuclear holocaust'

Tom Lasseter - McClatchy Newspapers

January 01, 2011 11:23 AM

BEIJING — North Korea on Saturday called for dialogue and peace on the Korean Peninsula in a state-issued New Yearfs Day editorial, warning that a breakout of war with the South gwill bring nothing but a nuclear holocaust.h

While the statement also characterized South Koreafs government as a gminion of warh beholden to gpro-U.S. war hawks,h the documentfs repeated calls for more cooperation suggest that the North might be moving, for now, away from a pattern of attacks against the South.

gActive efforts should be made to create an atmosphere of dialogue and cooperation between North and South by placing the common interests of the nation above anything else,h said the official message, which was carried by state media.

After a year of some of the worst tensions on the Korean Peninsula since the 1950-53 Korean War, the past week has brought signs of calming. On Wednesday, South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said that he saw no choice but to resume six-party talks with the North that also include Russia, China, Japan and the United States.

Russian and Chinese officials have repeatedly called for those negotiations to begin anew _ they lapsed after the North quit them last year _ and many observers expect that a visit by Chinese President Hu Jintao to Washington this month could push the process further along.

In a New Yearfs address to his nation on Saturday, Lee said he was gconfident that we will be able to establish peace on the Korean Peninsula.h

Despite the hopeful words, it wasnft immediately clear how the two Koreas would move toward a more peaceful co-existence.

Last year was marked by both threats of war and highly-unpredictable behavior from the secretive and totalitarian regime of Kim Jong Il.

North Korea is accused of having torpedoed a South Korean warship in March, killing 46 sailors, an attack that was followed by the North unveiling a sophisticated uranium enrichment facility and then, in late November, an artillery barrage on a South Korean island that killed four.

South Korea responded that attack with a series of military drills near the North Korean border, and its military vowed to answer any future aggression with overwhelming counterattack.

Many in South Korea have come to regard past diplomatic efforts with the North as having only propped up Kim Jong Ilfs government with aid as his military worked to further develop its weapons programs.

South Koreafs Yonhap news service on Saturday reported that officials in Seoul suspect that the North is now gwilling to push for humanitarian aid from South Korea by calling for cross-border dialogue in its New Year's message.h

In addition to talk of peace, the North Korean editorial emphasized the need to gfurther strengthen the militant might of the PeopleŒs Armyh and advance its gfighting spirit with which to annihilate the enemy.h

The annual statement, which ran to more than 5,900 words when translated to English, offered a glimpse into the propaganda machine of an impoverished nation commanded by a man who claims something close to a divine right to rule.

In a land of labor camps and torture cells that mostly sits in the dark once night falls, the essay proclaimed the ggreat victoriesh of North Korea and added that gin the crucible of the complicated 21st century, our country has always stood in the limelight of the world.h

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY Follow Lasseter on Twitter Follow China developments at McClatchy's China Rises blog In sign of eased tensions, S. Korea talks of talks

North Korean shelling turns South's shrugs into worries

China remains passive as Korean standoff escalates

North Korea succession plans prompt fears of turmoil

Sixty years after war broke out, Korean peninsula still in limbo

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

S. Korea's dilemma? North's unschooled masses, not nukes

December 15, 2010 03:24 PM

world

South Korea says North is boosting special forces

December 30, 2010 03:51 PM

world

South Korea indicates willingness to resume six-party talks

December 29, 2010 06:45 AM

world

N. Korean troops say they cheered as artillery struck S. Korean island

December 28, 2010 08:04 AM

world

S. Korea to stage new major land and sea maneuvers

December 22, 2010 09:24 AM

world

North Korea says South's military drills won't draw retaliation

December 20, 2010 07:36 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service