Egypt's prime minister apologizes for violence in Cairo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Egypt's prime minister apologizes for violence in Cairo

Miret El Naggar - McClatchy Newspapers

February 03, 2011 11:45 AM

CAIRO, Egypt — Egypt's newly appointed Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq apologized Thursday for the deadly violence that broke out on Wednesday in Cario's Tahrir Square and pledged that it would not happen again.

"I pledge that what happened yesterday in Tahrir Square will not be repeated," Shafiq said during a televised news conference, referring to the clashes that were widely blamed on pro-Mubarak forces who stormed the square and fought with anti-Mubaraka demonstrators into Thursday with machetes, whips, stones and wooden sticks.

Thirteen people died in overnight clashes, the health ministry said, while 1,200 were injured.

In an effort apparently to calm the demonstrators, on Thursday the country's attorney general banned former Interior Minister Habib al Adly and two other senior officials from Mubarak's government from traveling. The order also affected a prominent member of the ruling National Democratic Party. The attorney general also froze the men's assets, according to the state news agency MENA.

Al Jazeera reported that Adly is being questioned about the decision to pull police from the streets after rioting last Friday, which led to days of lawlessness and looting. He also is being questioned about Wednesday's clashed between Mubarak loyalists and pro-democracy demonstrators.

Vice President Omar Suleiman reiterated on state TV Thursday that Mubarak has no plans to run for another term, and added that Mubarak’s son Gamal, previously believed to be groomed for the job, will not run either.

Foreign and local journalists from several media outlets reported they were attacked by thugs on Thursday, some of them were heavily wounded while others had their equipment destroyed or confiscated. The Washington Post reported that its Cario bureau chief, Leila Fadel, a staff photographer, Linda Davidson, and possibly a third employee had been detained.

"They are said to be uninjured, but one report said they'd been blindfolded," The Post said in a statement. "We believe they remain in custody, and have been in discussions with the State Department and the Egyptian Embassy. We have not spoken to them and have no more information."

Members of the opposition, most notably former U.N. chief watchdog Mohamed ElBaradei and Egypt’s largest opposition bloc, the Muslim Brotherhood, have so far rejected calls by the government to hold talks, insisting that Mubarak resign first.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Al Jazeera's Live Stream Coverage in English

January 28, 2011 12:52 PM

world

Israeli military's disarray adds to fears over Egyptian uprising

February 02, 2011 06:57 PM

world

Chaos erupts in Cairo as Mubarak supporters attack protesters

February 02, 2011 06:56 PM

world

Wednesday's crackdown was vintage Mubarak

February 02, 2011 06:07 PM

world

U.S. officials: Cairo clash shows army won't push Mubarak out

February 02, 2011 07:56 PM

world

Despite close contacts, U.S. in dark about Egypt military's views

February 01, 2011 07:20 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service