Military's cease-fire with rebel breaks down in Southern Sudan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Military's cease-fire with rebel breaks down in Southern Sudan

Alan Boswell - McClatchy Newspapers

February 10, 2011 06:09 PM

JUBA, Sudan — Clashes broke out Wednesday and continued Thursday between a breakaway commander and the former rebel military of Southern Sudan, killing at least 16 people and ending a key cease-fire just months before the war-torn region is set to emerge as the world's newest nation.

The Jan. 5 agreement signed between the Southern Sudan army and rebel George Athor helped pave the way for the undeveloped region's peaceful referendum on independence Jan. 9-15. Southern Sudan is set for nationhood in July after 99 percent voted in favor of separation. Sudanese President Omar al Bashir certified the result Monday.

"The cease-fire is now broken," said Philip Aguer, a spokesman for the Southern Sudan military, the Sudan People's Liberation Army.

The referendum was the core part of a 2005 U.S.-brokered peace deal between Sudan's Arab government in the north and the Sudan People's Liberation Army, ending decades of conflict between the regions that killed 2 million people.

Athor, a former Sudan People's Liberation Army chief of staff, took up arms against Sudan's southern government in Juba after a failed gubernatorial bid in April 2010 elections, claiming that the poll was rigged. Two less-known militia leaders launched separate uprisings at the same time. None has been fully squelched.

In the run-up to the referendum, Salva Kiir, the leader of Southern Sudan, granted Athor amnesty, which culminated in the cease-fire deal last month just days before the polls opened.

On Wednesday, Athor's men attacked the towns of Dor and Fangak in Southern Sudan's Jonglei state, Aguer said, killing four southern soldiers and 12 of Athor's men. Athor also planted land mines along a road in the area that detonated on two Sudan People's Liberation Army vehicles, Aguer said.

Fangak had been captured, but the southern army retook it. Fighting continued Thursday.

"We are still waiting for the number of casualties today. But there are casualties," Aguer said Thursday.

Athor denies being the aggressor, telling the Sudan Tribune website Wednesday that the southern army attacked him first. The renegade commander is known for giving highly inflated casualty figures for the southern army when he's talking to the news media.

More than a dozen civilians have been confirmed dead from the fighting in Fangak, according to Boutros Rwai, the head of a local human rights group and a native of the area. Athor's men attacked the town without provocation, he said.

The renewed fighting between Athor and the southern army is the latest in a wave of violence to hit the region in the past week, putting a damper on the otherwise celebratory mood after the announcement of the referendum results.

On Wednesday, a junior minister in the Southern Sudan government was assassinated in his office in what appeared to be a family dispute.

Last week, a series of mutinies among southerners in the northern army across the south's Upper Nile state killed 60, according to the state government.

During Sudan's civil war, southerners fought one another as much as they did the northern army. After the 2005 peace deal, as the referendum neared, the region mostly united under Kiir's leadership, but old tribal discords still swirl underneath the surface.

(Boswell is a McClatchy special correspondent. His reporting from Sudan is supported in part by Humanity United, a California-based foundation that focuses on human rights issues).

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Southern Sudanese soldiers mutiny; clashes leave 41 dead

As Sudan makes split official, popular anger sweeps north

What's behind the unrest in the Arab world? An explainer

Obama faces tough choices as protests sweep Egypt

After days of looting, once-vibrant Cairo smolders

U.S.-built highway to southern Sudan paved with hope

Southern Sudan's referendum inspires hope of a better life

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Youth protests in Sudan struggle amid state crackdown

February 07, 2011 06:37 PM

world

Southern Sudanese soldiers mutiny; clashes leave 41 dead

February 05, 2011 04:13 PM

world

Clashes erupt in southern Sudan town as split begins

February 04, 2011 04:18 PM

world

As Sudan makes split official, popular anger sweeps north

January 30, 2011 06:27 PM

world

U.S.-built highway to Southern Sudan paved with hope

January 26, 2011 12:11 AM

world

Sudan's Abyei region on edge after fierce fighting during vote

January 19, 2011 05:50 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service