At Guantanamo, pre-trial hearing for alleged terror trainer is scrapped | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

At Guantanamo, pre-trial hearing for alleged terror trainer is scrapped

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

February 11, 2011 07:02 AM

The Pentagon Thursday abruptly canceled a pre-trial hearing at Guantánamo next week and said it would instead hold “other proceedings” at the war court for an alleged Sudanese terror trainer -- the strongest sign yet that the Obama administration had secured another plea agreement in its revamped military commissions.

Noor Uthman Mohammed, in his 40s, is accused of being a trainer and sometime-commander in charge of a paramilitary camp in Afghanistan where some of the 9/11 hijackers honed their skills before the Sept. 11, 2001 suicide attacks. Intelligence agents captured him in March 2002 in Faisalabad, Pakistan, in a dragnet that netted a man the CIA considered an early, prized captive in the war on terror -- Zayn Abidin Mohammad al Hussain, widely known as “Abu Zubayda.”

Noor was sent to Guantánamo, where he is now the only captive currently facing war crimes charges -- conspiracy and providing material support for terror. Pentagon prosecutors last year secured convictions in two al Qaeda foot soldier cases in exchange for short sentences. Confessed teen terrorist Omar Khadr, now 24, returns to Canada later this year. Sudanese captive Ibrahim Qosi, 51, pleaded guilty this summer in a deal that could repatriate him in July 2012.

Next week’s hearing was scheduled for legal arguments before the judge, Navy Capt. Moira Modzelewski, and was a necessary step toward a trial.

But, military sources confirmed this week that the Defense Department was airlifting a jury pool to the base in time for next week’s hearing. Only in the event of a plea would a panel of senior U.S. military officers be called upon to deliberate a for-the-record punishment.

On Thursday night the Pentagon notified reporters that the hearing had been scrubbed. “Other proceedings in Noor’s military commission case will take place instead,” said Army Lt. Col. Tanya Bradsher.

Bradsher would neither confirm nor deny that a signed plea deal was on file with the court in the Noor case. Neither would Noor’s lead Pentagon defense attorney, Army Maj. Amy Fitzgibbons.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Guantanamo detainee gets 2-year sentence in Pentagon deal

February 09, 2011 09:25 PM

crime

Guantanamo detainee who died was to be held indefinitely

February 03, 2011 01:11 PM

special-reports

How Congress helped thwart Obama's plan to close Guantanamo

January 22, 2011 03:54 PM

world

Pentagon might increase Guantánamo war court cases

January 20, 2011 10:36 AM

HOMEPAGE

Follow Carol Rosenberg's reports on Guantanamo on Twitter

August 10, 2010 01:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service