Obama stays cautious on Libya as Americans await evacuation | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Obama stays cautious on Libya as Americans await evacuation

Warren P. Strobel and Margaret Talev - McClatchy Newspapers

February 22, 2011 06:58 PM

WASHINGTON — With hundreds of U.S. citizens trapped for now in Libya, the Obama administration is responding cautiously to leader Moammar Gadhafi's brutal attempt to suppress a rebellion, fearing that the wrong move might bring retaliation against Americans, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

The fate of about 600 U.S. citizens, along with 35 non-essential Embassy staff, whom the State Department is trying to evacuate, puts President Barack Obama in an excruciating diplomatic bind.

Despite the regime's ongoing massacres that have killed hundreds of civilians, and executions of security personnel who refuse to take part in the atrocities, Obama hasn't called on Gadhafi to leave. That's a striking difference from his role in easing Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak from power after a much less bloody revolution earlier this month.

There was mounting pressure Tuesday on the Obama administration to take a tougher stand.

The chairmen of both the House and Senate foreign relations committees called on Obama to re-impose economic sanctions on Libya that were lifted in 2004.

"While it's true that America has less influence in Tripoli than elsewhere in the region, we're not without options, particularly in partnership with the broader international community," Senate Foreign Relations Committee Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., said in a statement. Kerry called for strong action by the United Nations Security Council.

After meeting to discuss the crisis, the Security Council on Tuesday evening called in a statement "for an immediate end to the violence." The council's 15 members "condemned the violence and use of force against civilians, deplored the repression against peaceful demonstrators, and expressed deep regret at the deaths of hundreds of civilians," it said.

But there were no immediate plans to impose harsher measures, such as a "no-fly zone" that could stop Libyan military aircraft from attacking protesters.

The session was preceded by a bizarre rivalry over who'd speak for Libya: its U.N. ambassador, who remains a Gadhafi loyalist, or his deputy, who broke with the regime. The ambassador spoke, but afterward his deputy appeared before reporters, denouncing the Libyan leader.

Senior U.S. officials, some of whom requested anonymity because of the situation's sensitivity, said Washington is contemplating stronger actions in the days ahead.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Tuesday called the violence in Libya "completely unacceptable." She said, "As we gain a greater understanding of what actually is happening . . . we will take appropriate steps in line with our policies, our values and our laws."

"As always, the safety and well-being of Americans has to be our highest priority," she said. Clinton didn't mention Gadhafi by name.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said 35 U.S. Embassy personnel and families, who were ordered to leave Libya on Monday, haven't yet been able to depart. "The fact is today we were not able to move any of our personnel out of the country," he said.

The State Department said late Tuesday that it had chartered a ferry for U.S. citizens wanting to leave Libya that would depart from Tripoli on Wednesday to the islands of Malta, across the Mediterranean Sea.

In a "warden message" to U.S. citizens in the country, the Embassy in Tripoli said travelers would be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis and that the ferry would depart no later than 3 p.m. local time. It did not say how many passengers the ferry holds.

The relatively small embassy staff is also helping some of the roughly 600 U.S. citizens in the country, many of whom work for energy companies, depart.

Concerns that U.S. citizens might get caught up in the chaos grew Tuesday when Gadhafi gave a defiant, rambling speech in which he appeared to blame the U.S. for the insurrection that's divided the country.

"We defy America," Gadhafi said at one point.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said in a statement that British nationals in Libya "have encountered significant difficulties" trying to leave.

A Royal Navy Frigate, the HMS Cumberland, was being deployed to the eastern Mediterranean to help if necessary, Hague said. A U.S. official said no similar action is currently being considered.

Elliott Abrams, a former deputy national security adviser for President George W. Bush, said the U.S. should push to freeze Libyan bank accounts; suspend the country from the U.N. Human Rights Council; seek agreement on a weapons embargo; and send humanitarian aid to Libyans via Egypt or Tunisia.

Abrams, now at the Council on Foreign Relations, said there also should be international discussion of imposing a no-fly zone over Libya.

"I cannot see that we have done anything," he said of the Obama administration. Abrams said he'd heard that the "main constraint" on the administration's public statements is fear for the safety of U.S. citizens.

Meanwhile, the Arab League announced it's suspending Libya's participation in the 22-member body.

Arab League Chief Amr Moussa announced the step to reporters in Cairo, saying the use of heavy weapons and mercenaries against the protesters was a "grave breach of human rights." He also demanded that Libyan authorities restore communication channels and urged Arab and international organizations to send humanitarian aid into the Libya.

Elsewhere, Catherine Ashton, the European Union's foreign policy chief, said the 27-nation EU was suspending a framework trade agreement it had been negotiating with Libya, Reuters reported.

(McClatchy special correspondent Miret El Naggar contributed to this story from Cairo.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Gadhafi accused of genocide against his own people

Experts: Libya could inspire new uprisings, or crackdowns

Huge Bahraini counter-protests reflects rising sectarian strife

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Driving through Libya with armed men of all persuasions

February 22, 2011 06:54 PM

politics-government

Gadhafi remains defiant; Kerry urges re-imposing sanctions

February 22, 2011 12:59 PM

world

Gadhafi accused of genocide against his own people

February 21, 2011 07:45 PM

world

Huge Bahraini counter-protest reflects rising sectarian strife

February 21, 2011 06:50 PM

world

Experts: Libya could inspire new uprisings, or crackdowns

February 21, 2011 06:48 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service