U.S. to position aircraft carrier off Libya as counter to Gadhafi | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. to position aircraft carrier off Libya as counter to Gadhafi

Nancy A. Youssef, Jonathan S. Landay and Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

February 28, 2011 12:29 PM

BENGHAZI, Libya — The United States is moving naval and air forces, including an aircraft carrier, into the Mediterranean Sea near Libya, U.S. officials said Monday, as the Obama administration and its allies consider how to respond to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's brutal efforts to suppress a widespread rebellion among civilians and army troops.

The U.S. decision comes as Gadhafi appeared to be making a concerted effort to retake control of Zawiyah, a town about 30 miles west of Tripoli that has been in rebel hands since last week. Two people reached separately by phone said heavy fighting had broken out in the early evening as militias loyal to Gadhafi attacked from both the east and the west.

U.S. officials said no decision had been made about how the U.S. forces would be used, but that one option under consideration is the imposition of a no-fly zone designed to prevent Gadhafi from using aircraft as he fought the rebels.

“We have planners working and various contingency plans and I think it's safe to say as part of that we're repositioning forces to be able to provide for that flexibility once decisions are made,” Marine Col. David Lapan, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters.

Another official, who requested anonymity to discuss the issue, said the pre-positioning of military assets “doesn’t mean to suggest that there will be military intervention.”

At the same time, he said, consideration of imposing a no-fly zone “has picked up a little speed.”

Gadhafi opponents in Libya's second-largest city, Benghazi, have said they oppose foreign military intervention, a message they reiterated in comments on Twitter after the Pentagon moves became public.

A no-fly zone would seek to prevent Gadhafi from using aircraft to attack protesters, move equipment and personnel, or ferry in foreign mercenaries who have been killing Gadhafi’s opponents.

The White House, which has called on Gadhafi to leave power, said Monday that “exile is certainly one option” for the Libyan dictator.

It was not immediately clear which countries would be willing to take Gadhafi in or whether the United States had made efforts to arrange asylum. Gadhafi and his family have publicly declared they would not leave Libya.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said implementing a no-fly zone over Libyan airspace is “an option we are actively considering.”

Carney spoke as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton conferred with colleagues in Geneva, Switzerland. President Barack Obama and U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice were to meet Monday afternoon in Washington with U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

The administration officials could not say which U.S. aircraft carrier will be dispatched as part of the international response, as there currently are none in the Mediterranean.

Carney declined to describe the level of contact been the U.S. government and Libyan opposition forces. He said it is “premature to make decisions about recognizing one group or the other,” but that the administration has “a variety” of channels through which to communicate with opposition forces.

In Geneva, Clinton joined foreign ministers from around the world in an extraordinary session of the U.N. Human Rights Council to discuss the upheaval in Libya.

In her address, Clinton repeated a U.S. call for Gadhafi to step down.

"We have seen Colonel Gaddafi's security forces open fire on peaceful protesters. They have used heavy weapons on unarmed civilians. Mercenaries and thugs have been turned loose to attack demonstrators," Clinton said. "Through their actions, they have lost the legitimacy to govern. And the people of Libya have made themselves clear: It is time for Gaddafi to go. Now. Without further violence or delay."

News reports Monday said Gadhafi had appointed his intelligence chief, Bouzaid Dordah, to negotiate with the temporary government that is being formed in eastern areas freed from his control.

But in Benghazi, officials flatly closed the door to negotiations. Given the bloodshed across the country, including roughly 300 killed in Libya’s second-largest city, makes that impossible, local officials said.

"There is only (one) demand; Gadhafi has to leave," said Abdullah Shamia, an advisor to the 13-member committee in charge of Benghazi. "There is no negotiation."

(Youssef reported from Benghazi, Landay and Strobel, from Washington. Margaret Talev contributed from Washington.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Gadhafi accused of genocide against his own people

Huge Bahraini counter-protests reflects rising sectarian strife

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Rebels in Libya's east say they're not ready to take Tripoli

February 27, 2011 05:50 PM

world

Libyan rebels get U.S. nod, fear Gadhafi counterattack

February 27, 2011 03:46 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service