Pro-Mubarak thugs blamed for rising violence in Egypt | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Pro-Mubarak thugs blamed for rising violence in Egypt

Hannah Allam and Mohannad Sabry - McClatchy Newspapers

March 09, 2011 05:16 PM

CAIRO — A series of bloody clashes in recent days have heightened fears here that thugs loyal to Hosni Mubarak's former regime are fanning tensions in a bid to undermine political reforms promised by the country's military-led government.

Fierce overnight clashes between Christians and Muslims left 13 people dead and 140 wounded in a Cairo suburb, state media said Wednesday, while in a separate incident, bands of thugs stormed into downtown Cairo's Tahrir Square, where they ripped down pro-reform protesters' tents and defaced a memorial to Egyptians who were killed in the revolution, witnesses said.

Earlier this week, several female protesters were groped and roughed up when mobs descended on a peaceful rally marking International Women's Day.

Egyptian soldiers present in Tahrir Square did little to stop Wednesday's attacks, and deleted photos taken by journalists who witnessed the chaos.

The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, the military committee that now governs Egypt, said that it would "stand firm against plans for a counter-revolution," according to the state news agency, MENA. It also announced that it had approved a draft law that would allow the death penalty for "criminal acts of thuggery" that result in someone's death.

The new law is designed to crack down on crimes such as intimidation, thuggery and disturbing the peace, according to state television.

The government "is fully committed to the interests of the people and to implementing the goals of the revolution," news agencies quoted MENA as saying.

Meanwhile, Coptic Christians called for the government to investigate the sudden spasm of sectarian violence, which some Christian leaders have blamed on disgruntled Mubarak-era security officers.

Muslims and Copts stood in solidarity during the 18-day uprising that toppled Mubarak and even held several interfaith worship ceremonies in Tahrir Square. But old fissures resurfaced this week after a church fire and the publication of leaked security files that suggest state involvement in past attacks on Egypt's Christian minority, including a bloody New Year's Day bombing in Alexandria that killed 21.

Muslim clerics and Christian priests plan a rally Friday in hopes of easing tensions in the village of Etfeah, where the torching of a church set off four days of protests.

Armed mobs attacked a related Christian demonstration on the outskirts of Cairo late Tuesday, and fighting raged for hours as the groups hurled rocks and Molotov cocktails at one another while blocking a main highway into the capital. Cars that drove near the melee were set upon by mobs that smashed windshields.

Hanan Fikry, a journalist at a weekly Coptic newspaper, said she suspects the work of "counter-revolutionary forces" loyal to Mubarak's former security chiefs. She said mob attacks of the past week signaled the work of thugs, formerly on the government payroll, who are now acting as "mercenaries" to stop Egypt's political reforms.

The main concern, Fikry said, is that the escalating violence could force a delay in the military's transfer of authority to a new civilian government.

"There's an old saying that goes, 'If you want to destroy Egypt, hit the Nile or cause sectarian strife,'" Fikry said. "This is an internal, despicable movement trying to strike the country from within. It's the remnants of the former government, and they're trying to kill the Jan. 25 revolution, targeting the vulnerabilities that already exist among Egyptians."

Georgette Qilini, a Copt who served in the Egyptian parliament, said she, too, feared that organized forces were working to overturn the reform movement.

"What's happening in the country is not only against the Copts, it's against everyone," she said. "I told everyone this is what I think. I even told the Muslim Brotherhood that it's planned and against them as well."

Qilini also criticized state media, saying their reports have contributed to the sense of unease by at first downplaying the violence, then later disseminating full accounts of what had taken place.

"Yesterday, after 10 people were killed, they denied that anything was happening, she said. "Then today, they said the absolute opposite, that there are 13 deaths. The delays in uncovering the facts just add to the atmosphere of violence and intolerance."

"I'm feeling so sad for the whole country," she said.

At least some of those killed overnight died of gunshot wounds, an oddity in a society where carrying a firearm is relatively uncommon.

The sectarianism is just one facet of a wave of violence that threatens Egypt's nascent pro-democracy movements.

The campus newspaper of the American University in Cairo reported the kidnapping of a student and his driver early Wednesday, two days after assailants targeted a female student as she left university grounds. The woman reportedly suffered facial scratches and torn clothing in the attack.

The apparent abduction Wednesday of student Kamal el Leithy occurred as he was en route to class from his home in a Cairo suburb, the Caravan campus paper reported. The paper interviewed a friend of Leithy's who said the missing man's family had received a ransom demand for the equivalent of about $170,000.

(Sabry is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Egypt faces new turmoil: Looted state security files

New day in Egypt: Protesters sack State Security offices

Like new Middle East, Obama doctrine is a work in progress

Wave of protests now touches nearly all of Arab world

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Egypt faces new turmoil: Looted state security files

March 07, 2011 06:57 PM

world

With more protests planned, Egypt's prime minister steps down

March 03, 2011 04:44 PM

world

Egypt's Prime Minister Shafiq steps down

March 03, 2011 09:06 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service