U.S. warns that standoff in Sudan is 'unacceptable' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. warns that standoff in Sudan is 'unacceptable'

Alan Boswell - McClatchy Newspapers

March 09, 2011 06:53 PM

JUBA, Southern Sudan — After weeks of cautiously optimistic statements about progress toward dividing Sudan into two countries, the United States on Wednesday issued a sharply worded rebuke warning that Sudan's northern government faced "greater, more painful isolation" if it didn't take steps to stop raids that have killed scores in the disputed Abyei border region.

"This dangerous standoff is unacceptable," the statement read.

The stern words came as the U.S. is determining whether to remove the northern Sudan government in Khartoum from its list of terrorist nations after the country's formal acceptance last month of the results of a referendum that will lead to Southern Sudan's independence in July.

The vote in January formed the cornerstone of a 2005 peace deal that ended a decades-long civil war that killed 2 million people.

Abyei is contested between the Ngok Dinka tribe of African southerners, who live there year-round, and Misseriya Arab northerners, who graze their cattle there during the dry season. A planned vote to determine whether the region remains with the Arab north or becomes part of the African south hasn't been held.

More than 100 people died last week when northern Arab fighters attacked Ngok Dinka villages in the Abyei area, forcing tens of thousands to flee southward. Satellite images from the Satellite Sentinel Project, co-founded by Sudan activist and actor George Clooney, showed entire villages razed to the ground, including one settlement in which 300 huts appeared to have been burned after an attack Saturday.

The U.S. statement accused both sides of deploying forces within the Abyei region in violation of the peace agreement, but the risk for northern Sudan is greater.

The government in Khartoum is under heavy U.S. sanctions and its president, Omar al Bashir, has been indicted on genocide charges at the International Criminal Court in connection with a separate conflict in Darfur.

In November, the Obama administration said it would consider removing Sudan from its list of terrorist nations in return for Bashir's respecting the referendum process as well as working toward a political solution to some of the thornier issues the south's independence raises. Those issues include Abyei as well as how to apportion oil revenues and the country's debt.

Last month, the U.S. announced that it had begun the review, though full sanctions won't be lifted until the conflict in Darfur is resolved.

U.N. officials have become increasingly pessimistic about the chances of resolving the Abyei standoff peacefully.

"Both sides are hardening their positions," said one, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak to reporters.

U.N. mediation has done little to resolve the conflict. Last Friday, senior officials from both sides attended a U.N.-organized meeting to discuss the situation. Angry Ngok Dinka stormed the compound where it was being held. The next day, a northern attack razed another village.

(Boswell is a McClatchy special correspondent. His reporting is supported in part by a grant from Humanity United, a California-based human rights foundation.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Angry Southern Sudanese destroy U.N. vehicles over peace talks

Wave of violence raises worries about Southern Sudan

Military's cease-fire with rebel breaks down in Southern Sudan

As Sudan makes split official, popular anger sweeps north

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Angry Southern Sudanese destroy U.N. vehicles over peace talks

March 04, 2011 05:01 PM

world

New clashes in Sudan's Abyei region

February 28, 2011 07:06 PM

world

How Southern Sudan's 'ticking time bomb' was defused

February 24, 2011 05:34 PM

world

Sudanese war criminal at Guantánamo turns government witness

February 18, 2011 08:48 PM

world

Wave of violence raises worries about Southern Sudan

February 14, 2011 06:05 PM

world

Military's cease-fire with rebel breaks down in Southern Sudan

February 10, 2011 06:09 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service