Suicide attack kills 33 at Afghan army recruiting center | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Suicide attack kills 33 at Afghan army recruiting center

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

March 14, 2011 03:58 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide attacker blew himself up Monday in an army recruiting center in the northern Afghanistan province of Kunduz, killing 33 and injuring 40 others, officials said.

The bombing — aimed at young men who were seeking to join the army — was the latest in a wave of insurgent attacks in Kunduz, where Afghan security forces are scheduled to assume responsibility for security later this month.

The attacker was wearing an army uniform when he set off the explosives at about 2 p.m., the provincial governor, Anwar Jegdali, said. He said the attack was intended to slow the government's plan to take control of security from the U.S.-led coalition.

"The enemy does not want this to happen," he said.

Among the dead were three army officers; the rest were civilians, including four street children, he said.

No one claimed responsibility for the attack, though it bore all the marks of the Taliban.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack in unusually strong language, calling it "a serious crime and an unforgivable act of terror" that would only toughen anti-Taliban resolve.

"Such terrorist actions cannot affect the determination and morale of our youth to courageously prepare to serve their country, but will instead bolster their resolve and dedication to eliminate a cruel enemy that wants nothing but bloodletting," Karzai said.

The U.S.-led military coalition and the U.S. Embassy also issued statements condemning the attack.

Last week, a suicide bomber killed the provincial police chief, Abdul Rahman, and three others, and last month, more than 30 people who were trying to get their national identification cards were killed when a bombed devastated the census office in the Imam Saib district, about 35 miles north of the Kunduz capital.

"The enemy wants to create terror and frighten the people not to join security forces in order to stop the country from providing its own security," said Gen. Ali Rezayee, who became the province's acting police chief after Rahman was killed.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.N.: U.S.-led forces killed fewer Afghan civilians last year

Afghans rely heavily on foreign advisers as transition looms

Afghan government asks U.N. to ease limits on 5 ex-Taliban

Relations worsen as Karzai rejects U.S. apology over deaths of 9 Afghan boys

Taliban bomber kills dozens at Afghan government office

U.S.-led attack killed 50 civilians, Afghans say

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service