Karzai lays out plan for Afghan security handover | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Karzai lays out plan for Afghan security handover

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

March 22, 2011 04:37 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — The Afghan government announced Tuesday that U.S.-led international forces will hand over security responsibility in three provinces to Afghan forces beginning this summer.

"From this July, Afghanistan will take the responsibility over seven locations including three provinces and four cities," President Hamid Karzai said at a graduation ceremony for new army and police officers in Kabul.

According to the plan, Afghan forces will take charge of security in Kabul, Bamyan, and Panjsher this summer.

Both Bamyan, a province in central Afghanistan whose population is majority Hazara Shiites, and Panjsher in the north, the birthplace of anti-Taliban Tajik resistance commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, are counted as secure provinces in the insurgency mounted by the Taliban, who are Sunni Pashtuns, mostly from the south of Afghanistan.

Also to be handed over to Afghan forces is Lashkar Gah, the capital of the restive province of Helmand in the south, Herat city in the west and Mehterlam, the provincial capital of Laghman in the east.

"Security will be extended from the centers to the districts" Karzai said.

This will be the first phase of the security transition from NATO to Afghan forces agreed to in November's Lisbon summit.

Taliban insurgents have stepped up their attacks against Afghan and NATO forces in recent months. Earlier in March, a Taliban suicide attacker killed more than 30 people at an army recruiting center in northern province of Afghanistan.

Last year was the deadliest year for international forces in Afghanistan, with more than 700 soldiers killed. More than 90 foreign troops have been killed since the beginning of this year.

Karzai again emphasized the urgent need to halt the setting up of parallel institutions such as the military-protected provincial reconstructions teams, which support development projects in the provinces, and private security firms. He called them an "obstacle" to state building.

Karzai also urged armed militants fighting in Afghanistan to lay down their arms and join the peace process.

"Here once again I ask the opposition to stop killing civilians, and put end to suicide attacks and explosions," he said. "Otherwise, it will continue the presence of foreign forces, the crisis and war in Afghanistan" Karzai said.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Lawyer: 'Blood money' bought CIA contractor's freedom

Pakistani religious groups cheer killing of governor

Court thwarts pardon of Pakistani facing death in blasphemy case

New militia brings security, and worries, to Marjah, Afghanistan

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Lawyer: 'Blood money' bought CIA contractor's freedom

March 16, 2011 09:03 AM

world

Suicide attack kills 33 at Afghan army recruiting center

March 14, 2011 03:58 PM

world

Suicide attacker targets recruiting center in Kunduz province

March 14, 2011 08:37 AM

world

Coalition raid kills Afghan President Karzai's cousin

March 10, 2011 04:28 PM

world

U.N.: U.S.-led forces killed fewer Afghan civilians last year

March 09, 2011 03:34 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service