4 reactors at Japanese nuclear complex will have to be scrapped, utility chairman says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

4 reactors at Japanese nuclear complex will have to be scrapped, utility chairman says

Julie Makinen - Los Angeles Times

March 30, 2011 05:52 PM

TOKYO — The chairman of the utility that runs the crippled Fukushima power plant on Wednesday said the facility's four tsunami-battered reactors would have to be scrapped, and he apologized to the Japanese public for the nuclear disaster.

Tsunehisa Katsumata, chairman of the Tokyo Electric Power Co., expressed his deep remorse for the accident at Fukushima in northern Japan, including explosions, the release of radiation and contamination of crops and tap water. Although Katsumata referred only to scrapping reactors No. 1 through 4, government officials and other experts have been saying for more than a week that the entire complex, including the less problematic reactors 5 and 6, eventually would have to be decommissioned.

Katsumata's remarks came as authorities working to bring the battered plant under control said they were considering new methods to limit radiation leakages from the facility, including draping some kind of large tarp or cloth over the reactors and applying resin or glue to the ground to prevent contamination of the soil.

Experts are also mulling whether radioactive water that has flooded parts of the facility could be sucked up and placed in a barge.

Radioactive material continues to seep from the plant. The government's nuclear agency said Wednesday that radioactive iodine-131 had been detected at 3,355 times the legal limit in seawater several hundred yards from the Fukushima plant. That's the highest such concentration recorded at sea to date, but specialists said the material's half short life and the diluting effect of the ocean meant there was negligible concern about the impact on human health.

Eventually, Katsumata said, the Fukushima plant could be entombed in concrete. Chief Cabinet secretary Yukio Edano cautioned later that that was but one option being considered. "We should look at all the options," he said.

People living within 12 miles of the plant have been told to leave their homes, while those living between 12 and 18 miles have been urged to move out or stay indoors.

Asked at a news conference how the central government would respond to the Fukushima prefectural governor's request to force people living 12 and 18 miles of the plant to evacuate from the area, Edano said: "We are considering the government's request."

Katsumata's public appearance came after the company announced that its president, Masataka Shimizu, had been hospitalized for high blood pressure and dizziness. Shimizu has been absent from the public eye for several weeks, leaving other company executives to address the public.

Experts from the French utility Areva arrived in Tokyo on Wednesday to advise on the situation at Fukushima, expanding the team of international specialists now consulting on the situation. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko came to Tokyo earlier in the week.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy will visit Japan on Thursday and hold a news conference with Prime Minister Naoto Kan.

Meanwhile, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko made their first visit to evacuees Wednesday, appearing at a sports complex in Tokyo where several hundred people, many from near Fukushima, are taking shelter.

The emperor, wearing a green Windbreaker, and the empress, in a teal-blue wrap and white turtleneck, walked around the gymnasium and paused to kneel on mats where evacuees sleep to chat for a few moments and express their concern.

Edano said Wednesday that the prime minister's office had begun publishing a newspaper to distribute to shelters to keep evacuees better informed about what the government was doing to help them. Such papers are necessary, he said, because many elderly evacuees cannot search out information on computers and even those who can are still facing power shortages.

The death toll from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami on Wednesday stood at 11,632, the National Police Agency said, with more than 16,000 people still listed as missing.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Japanese crews scramble to contain radioactive water at nuclear plant

March 29, 2011 11:37 AM

news

Rush to report radiation reading underscores pressure Japanese officials face

March 28, 2011 12:21 AM

world

Japan steps up nuclear plant precautions

March 25, 2011 02:29 PM

world

Secrecy shrouds operations at crippled Japanese nuclear plants

March 25, 2011 12:52 PM

world

In Japan, the rites of Spring are laced with sorrow

March 21, 2011 08:26 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service