Nine killed in Afghan protest over Quran burning | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Nine killed in Afghan protest over Quran burning

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

April 02, 2011 01:57 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A second day of deadly violence over the burning of a Quran by a Florida pastor left at least nine people dead and more than 80 injured Saturday in Afghanistan.

Saturday's clashes between demonstrators and Afghan police took place in Kandahar, a southern city that's a Taliban stronghold.

On Friday in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif, a mob of angry protesters raided the United Nations compound and killed 12 people, including seven foreign nationals working for the organization. They were protesting the burning of the Muslim holy book March 20 by controversial preacher Terry Jones of Gainesville, Fla.

On Saturday, President Barack Obama expressed sympathy for the families of the U.N. attack.

"The desecration of any holy text, including the Quran, is an act of extreme intolerance and bigotry," he said in a statement. "However, to attack and kill innocent people in response is outrageous, and an affront to human decency and dignity."

Overall, violence has increased in Afghanistan in recent months, as Afghan security forces are preparing to take over security responsibilities from the U.S.-led NATO forces this summer.

The demonstration Saturday started around 8:30 a.m., said Fazel Ahmad Sherzad, the deputy police chief of Kandahar. He said demonstrators chanting anti-U.S. slogans were burning and looting shops. He blamed the Taliban for whipping up the anti-American sentiment.

"The Taliban insurgents are absolutely involved in this," he said.

A statement by the Kandahar governor's office said that nine protesters had been killed and 81 injured. Seventeen people, including seven armed men, were arrested, the statement said.

There were also small, peaceful demonstrations Friday and Saturday in Kabul, the capital, and the eastern city of Herat.

Also Saturday, three suicide attackers who targeted a U.S. base in eastern Kabul were killed Saturday morning but failed to breach the compound, U.S. and Afghan officials said.

Capt. Ciro Parisi, a spokesman for the coalition, confirmed the attack and said three American soldiers were slightly wounded. He wouldn't identify the wounded soldiers.

A statement from the Afghan Interior Ministry said that about 7 a.m. three suicide attackers wearing burqas — the full-body covering commonly worn by Afghan women — got close to an entrance of Camp Phoenix. One detonated his explosives while the other two opened fire with automatic weapons, the statement said.

Camp Phoenix, on the outskirts of Kabul, is home of combined Joint Task Force Phoenix, which trains the Afghan National Army. Mostly U.S. soldiers are stationed there.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Start of Afghan 'fighting season' will test U.S. strategy

U.N.: U.S.-led forces killed fewer Afghan civilians last year

Afghans rely heavily on foreign advisers as transition looms

Afghan government asks U.N. to ease limits on 5 ex-Taliban

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service