Alleged kingpin's remarks may spark new U.S.-Venezuela extradition fight | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Alleged kingpin's remarks may spark new U.S.-Venezuela extradition fight

Jim Wyss - The Miami Herald

April 05, 2011 06:58 AM

Walid Makled, the alleged Venezuelan drug kingpin at the center of a U.S. extradition battle, raised the stakes over the weekend, telling a television station that he was willing to share information about his ties to Venezuelan officials, Colombian guerrillas and Middle Eastern terrorist groups with U.S. prosecutors.

Both the United States and Venezuela have asked for the extradition of Makled, who has been in a Colombian jail since August. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has said Makled will be sent to Venezuela, but the latest revelations could spark a fresh push to have him testify in the United States.

On Monday, former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe suggested the extradition decision is not set in stone.

“The government of Colombia still hasn’t made a decision,” Uribe told The Miami Herald. “The Supreme Court has authorized his extradition to wherever the Colombian government decides.”

But the final decision is in Santos’ hands, Uribe said.

Makled’s extradition is expected to be a key topic when Santos and Chávez meet on Saturday in Colombia. That meeting was originally scheduled for last week, but the Venezuelan government said engine trouble on Chavez’s presidential airplane forced a last minute cancellation.

Although Makled was arrested on a U.S. drug warrant, Santos has said his hand is forced because Venezuela asked for his extradition first and has more serious charges pending against him — including murder.

Last week, Senator Richard Lugar, the ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, asked Santos to reconsider.

“Should [Makled] be extradited to Venezuela, the Department of Justice and the DEA would be unable to use the information he has already provided to them to legally dismantle some of the most important drug networks in the world today,” Lugar said in a press release.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service