U.S. troops repel Taliban attack at eastern Afghan airport | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. troops repel Taliban attack at eastern Afghan airport

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

April 06, 2011 09:16 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — An insurgent attack late Tuesday at the airport in the eastern city of Jalalabad left at least seven militants dead in the latest sign that the Taliban are stepping up assaults as the weather warms.

A statement Wednesday by the governor of Nangarhar province said the attack came shortly before midnight as the governor met with other officials at the airport to discuss security. U.S. troops, who are based at the airport, responded along with Afghan troops, the statement said.

Jalalabad is the capital of Nangarhar, a key province that borders the Taliban-dominated tribal region of neighboring Pakistan and includes the main supply route for U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan has long complained that Pakistan has done little to prevent Taliban insurgents from using the tribal region as a haven, a charge that Pakistan denies. But on Tuesday, the Obama administration released a report that said Pakistan had no "clear path toward defeating" insurgents in the region despite committing tens of thousands of troops to the effort.

The statement from the Nangarhar governor’s office said the dead militants hadn't been identified, but the Taliban claimed the attack in a posting on their website.

The Taliban said the firefight with coalition troops lasted 30 minutes. They claimed that nine coalition soldiers had been killed and seven wounded and that three helicopters had been destroyed. Neither the governor’s office nor the U.S-led International Security Assistance Force, the formal name for the coalition, reported troop deaths. The Taliban frequently exaggerate the impacts of their attacks.

The ISAF statement described the attack as taking place at a forward operating base in the Behsud district, which includes the airport. It said the assault consisted of rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire and that there were no ISAF casualties. It gave no specific number for Taliban dead.

The provincial police chief, Gen. Ali Shah Paktiawal, confirmed that there were no coalition casualties

In February, insurgents raided a bank branch in Jalalabad where Afghan security forces were picking up their pay, killing at least 40 and wounding dozens of others.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

White House: Pakistan is failing to defeat militants

Taliban claims attack on Afghan bank that kills 9, injures 70 Al Qaida-allied Afghan fighters seek new Pakistan haven

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

White House: Pakistan is failing to defeat militants

April 05, 2011 08:44 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service