Taliban to launch offensive Sunday against U.S. forces | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Taliban to launch offensive Sunday against U.S. forces

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

April 30, 2011 04:57 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — The Taliban on Sunday will begin a spring offensive against the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, a statement posted on the insurgent group's website said.

The announcement of the offensive comes only days after President Barack Obama made major changes to his national security team, including the appointment of Gen. David Petraeus, the commander of coalition forces in Afghanistan, to head the CIA.

"The offensive will focus on attacks against military centers, places of gathering, airbases, ammunition and logistical convoys of the foreign invaders in all parts of the country," the statement said.

The statement also singled out the so-called peace council, launched by Afghan president Hamid Karzai and supported by his Western allies in an effort to establish a dialogue with the insurgents.

"This is a Taliban propaganda war," said Gen. Atiqullah Amarkhil, an Afghan military analyst, adding that insurgent leaders are "trying to influence their enemy and give morale to their fighters."

Violence has increased across Afghanistan as the U.S.-led NATO forces are preparing to transfer security responsibilities to Afghan forces starting this summer.

An Afghan air force pilot opened fire on U.S. trainers at Kabul's international airport Wednesday, killing nine in the deadliest attack on Americans in Afghanistan in nearly six years.

In a major security breach on Monday, nearly 500 prisoners, mostly captured Taliban fighters, escaped from main jail of Kandahar province through a tunnel dug from a nearby house.

"The Taliban are trying to show their force," launching attacks that would shock Afghans, Amarkhil said.

Arsala Rahmani, a member of the peace council, said the Taliban threats aren't new.

"Despite the Taliban threats, I am committed to continue my work," Rahmani said.

Though the Taliban statement promises that Afghan civilians won't be harmed during the offensive, more than two-thirds of the 2,777 civilians killed last year were the victims of insurgents, according to the United Nations. By contrast, NATO and Afghan government forces were responsible for the deaths of 440 civilians.

As part of Obama's reshuffling, Lt. Gen. John Allen, now the deputy at U.S. Central Command, will fill Petraeus' shoes in Afghanistan. Ryan Crocker, a career ambassador who served in Iraq and Pakistan under President George W. Bush before retiring in 2009, will return to Afghanistan as U.S. ambassador, replacing Karl Eikenberry.

Petraeus will replace current CIA director Leon Panetta, who will lead the Pentagon following the retirement of Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Afghan officer kills 6 NATO soldiers in deadliest attack in years

Obama to put Petraeus at CIA, Panetta at Pentagon

Guantanamo secret files show U.S. often held innocent Afghans

More WikiLeaks coverage from McClatchy

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service