Curfew imposed after another attack in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Curfew imposed after another attack in Iraq

Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

June 03, 2011 06:55 PM

BAGHDAD — At least 20 people were killed and more than 60 wounded Friday in two suicide attacks in Saddam Hussein's hometown as local authorities announced a curfew to try to calm a deteriorating security situation.

The bombings were the third major attack this year in Tikrit, 100 miles north of Baghdad, and they came as Iraqi officials are weighing whether to ask some U.S. troops to remain in Iraq beyond a Dec. 31 deadline for the total withdrawal of American forces.

The first explosion targeted a mosque inside a heavily fortified section of Tikrit that houses Saddam's former palaces, now used as local government headquarters and residences for high-ranking security officials. About eight hours later, a suicide bomber blew up himself up at the hospital where families of the victims had gathered, killing at least six and wounding 10, according to security sources.

The ongoing insecurity even in areas thought to be well guarded has renewed serious questions about the ability of the Iraqi security forces, despite years of costly, U.S.-funded training missions, to assume control of the country after December.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki has said he would consult with leaders of the country's many political blocs before deciding this summer whether to ask some U.S. soldiers to stay. Last week, amid demonstrations by followers of the hard-line anti-American cleric Muqtada al Sadr calling for total U.S. withdrawal, Defense Secretary Robert Gates argued that the Iraqi military still needs U.S. help with logistics, intelligence and defending its airspace.

Friday's explosions came less than 24 hours after four explosions hit another predominantly Sunni Muslim city, Ramadi, on Thursday night, killing five and injuring 27. Residents of Tikrit said that authorities had imposed a curfew until further notice.

Witnesses said that a bomber blew himself up as worshipers started their weekly prayers at the mosque. Most of the wounded suffered serious burns.

"When the imam said 'God is great,' a big explosion happened in the first line where I was standing. I can't remember anything more," said an injured worshiper who asked to remain anonymous to shield himself from reprisals. "I just found myself in my bed in the hospital."

In January, more than 50 people were killed and 150 wounded in a bloody suicide attack targeting a center for police recruits in downtown Tikrit. Two months later, insurgents broke into the provincial government offices, killing more than 50.

(Hammoudi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraq's Sadrists stage mass rally to demand total U.S. withdrawal

55 dead in Iraq as gunmen seize local government building

Pakistan's bin Laden probe falters before it even starts

For more news from the Middle East, visit McClatchy's blog, Middle East Diary.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service