Gates urges Afghans to take more security responsibilities | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Gates urges Afghans to take more security responsibilities

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

June 04, 2011 04:58 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Secretary of Defense Robert Gates made an unannounced visit here Saturday and said that Afghan security forces must take more responsibilities for a successful transition from U.S.-led NATO forces starting this July.

"For the up-coming transition to be successful, the Afghan government and security forces must be willing to step up and take more security responsibility for governing and defending their own territory," Gates said while talking with Afghan President Hamid Karzai.

The security transition is scheduled to begin in scattered locations across Afghanistan in July to pave the way toward a complete withdrawal of NATO troops by the end of 2014. Afghans will take over security in the cities of Kabul, Herat in the west, Lashkargah, the provincial capital of the restive province of Helmand, and Mehterlam, in the center of Laghman province. They will do the same for the provinces of Kabul, Panjshir and Bamiyan.

Violence has increased across Afghanistan, as the Taliban have stepped up attacks against Afghan and NATO troops. The Taliban militants launched their spring offensive last month and have succeeded in killing several key provincial security officials to sabotage the transition process.

There are fears that the early withdrawal of NATO troops from Afhganistan will jeopardize the fragile security gains achieved in the last two years.

"The international coalition wants to be strong partner in this effort, but ultimately it is up to the Afghan people and elected government to chart Afghanistan's destiny," Gates said. This is his twelfth and last visit to Afhganistan. He is leaving his post later this month. President Barack Obama has nominated CIA Director Leon Panetta to replace him; the Senate has yet to confirm Panetta.

"While U.S. and coalition partners may draw down our military forces over time, we are committed to a long-term strategic partnership with Afghanistan," Gates said, adding that America will continue to train, equip and support the Afghan security forces.

Afghan President Karzai once again emphasized that bombing of Afghan houses and night raids by NATO troops must end.

Also on Saturday, four U.S.-led NATO soldiers were killed in the eastern Afghanistan, a statement issued from NATO headquarters said. It provided no details.

In a separate incident, a female suicide attacker targeted a coalition convoy in the restive eastern province of Kunar, killing one interpreter and injuring another.

"The suicide attack happened in Marawara district of Kunar province, around noon time, killing one interpreter and injuring another one," Fazlullah Wahidi, the provincial governor, told McClatchy in a telephone interview.

Kunar is a remote province in east Afghanistan, which shares a long border with the lawless tribal area of neighboring Pakistan, which is believed to be a safe haven for the Taliban and al-Qaida.

According to Mr.Wahidi, the attacker was a woman, as she was wearing a burqa, and male security forces do not search females because of cultural norms.

"We do not have female police in this province, it is a big problem,"Mr.Wahidi said.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Suicide bomber kills 6 in Afghanistan hospital explosion

In deadliest attack in years, Afghan pilot kills 9 U.S. trainers

Taliban attack in eastern Afghanistan leaves 35 dead

Follow McClatchy on Twitter

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Karzai tells NATO to stop airstrikes in Afghanistan

May 31, 2011 03:45 PM

world

U.S air strike killed 14 civilians, Afghan governor says

May 29, 2011 03:33 PM

world

House debate reflects U.S. impatience with Afghan War

May 25, 2011 05:51 PM

world

Rumors swirl as Afghans say Taliban's Mullah Omar has moved

May 23, 2011 03:25 PM

world

U.S. commander: Bin Laden's death doesn't end Afghan war

May 10, 2011 06:43 PM

HOMEPAGE

Read our in-depth coverage of Pakistan and Afghanistan

May 11, 2009 07:46 AM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service