Gunmen execute Mexican journalist, his wife and son | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Gunmen execute Mexican journalist, his wife and son

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

June 20, 2011 06:42 PM

MEXICO CITY — Assailants early Monday burst into the home of the deputy editor of a newspaper in the major port of Veracruz, gunning down the 55-year-old journalist, his wife and his son.

The executions were the latest in a particularly grim month for Mexican journalists, bolstering Mexico's status as the most murderous place in the hemisphere to work in the media.

The Notiver newspaper in Veracruz where Miguel Angel Lopez Velasco worked as deputy editor, columnist and crime reporter said the gunmen smashed through the front door of the Lopez home with a heavy object around 5:30 a.m., then entered the bedrooms to execute the occupants. Also killed were Lopez's 21-year-old son, Misael, and his wife, Agustina Solano.

The slayings reverberated far beyond journalistic circles.

Veracruz Gov. Javier Duarte de Ochoa said the slaying was a reflection of "the rise of criminality across the country," and pledged to apply "the full weight of the law" against anyone linked to the killing.

Authorities announced no immediate arrests.

Veracruz, the nation's oldest and largest port, straddles a key corridor along the Gulf of Mexico coast for criminal groups that traffic in undocumented aliens and narcotics.

The pace of attacks against journalists is quickening in Mexico.

Monday's killing came just three weeks after authorities found the body of another Veracruz journalist, Noel Lopez Olguin, in a shallow grave on a ranch near Chinameca. Two gunmen snatched Lopez Olguin, a collaborator for the weeklies Horizonte and Noticias de Acayucan, from his home in March.

The Mexican army said a drug gang leader who'd been arrested confessed to the killing and led soldiers to the shallow grave.

A third reporter, Pablo Ruelas Barraza, was shot to death on June 13 in a small town in Sonora state, bordering Arizona, apparently by two men seeking to abduct him. Ruelas, 38, worked for two regional dailies.

In another incident, armed men entered a bar June 7 where the news editor of the newspaper Novedades Acapulco, Marco Antonio Lopez Ortiz, 45, was meeting with a friend in the Pacific resort city. They took him away, and he hasn't been seen since.

Mexico's National Human Rights Commission reported late last year that it had tallied 66 murders and 12 disappearances of journalists since 2005.

Last year alone, 10 journalists were killed. But the New York-based Committee to Protect Journalists said in only three of the cases has the motive been confirmed as relating to their careers.

Mexico maintains a special prosecutor for crimes against the media, but the prosecutor lacks many formal powers to investigate crimes and has successfully brought an average of only one prosecution a year.

In a blistering report earlier this month entitled, Corruption, Impunity, Silence: The War on Mexico's Journalists, the University of Toronto's Law Faculty and the Canada branch of the writers' group PEN International blamed the Mexican government for failing to act with vigor to halt "almost complete impunity" for those who attack journalists.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Mexicans turn to social media for news about drug crimes

Mass graves in Durango may set Mexican record

Killings of journalists lead to news blackouts in Mexico

Check out this McClatchy blog: Mexico Unmasked

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service