Car bomb kills at least 30 in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Car bomb kills at least 30 in Afghanistan

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

June 25, 2011 02:16 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide bomber detonated his explosive-filled vehicle Saturday inside a health facility in the southeastern province of Logar, causing a powerful explosion which killed at least 30 and injured dozens of others, a provincial official said.

The incident occurred in Azra, a remote district of Logar province near the border with neighboring Pakistan.

"35 people including women and children, including patients and health workers, were killed and 25 others are injured in the explosion which was caused by a car filled with explosives..." said Din Mohammad Darwesh, spokesman for the provincial governor.

No insurgent group claimed immediate credit for the attack, but in the past, the Taliban militants waging war against Afghan and U.S.-led NATO forces for almost a decade have been blamed. Taliban spokesmen were not available for comment.

"We don't know the reason why this center was targeted," Darwesh said.

Dr. Suraya Dalil, Afghanistan health minister, strongly condemned the attack, saying "Our health centers are delivering health services without any discrimination, and our health centers are not centers of political and military activities."

Logar province is located southeast of Kabul, the capital, and has become increasingly insecure in recent years.

A health ministry official told McClatchy that the death toll could increase.

The Afghan interior ministry gave a different death count, saying 20 civilians were killed, while 23 others were injured.

."90 percent of the building has been destroyed in the blast, and it was a heartbreaking incident," said Dr. Abdullah Fahim, an advisor to the health minister.

Violence has increased across Afghanistan as the Taliban launched its offensive, called Badr, last month, vowing to target government and US-led NATO forces and their installations.

Also Saturday, a NATO soldier died in the eastern part of the country, according to the International Security Assistance Force headquarters in Kabul. The statement did not detail the nationality and the exact location of the attack. Mostly American troops are serving in eastern Afghanistan.

The hospital incident came three days after President Barack Obama announced the withdrawal of 10,000 troops from Afghanistan by the end of this year. The transition process in at least in seven locations form the U.S.-led NATO forces to Afghan forces is scheduled to take place next month.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

25 dead as Iraq violence takes worrisome turn

Karzai welcomes Afghan drawdown plan as election woes re-emerge

Iraq's Chalabi, who sought invasion, now wants U.S. out

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service