Latest Guantánamo prison camp suicide was 'indefinite detainee' | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Latest Guantánamo prison camp suicide was 'indefinite detainee'

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

June 28, 2011 12:54 PM

An Afghan man who was found hanging from a bedsheet at Guantánamo last month was held by the Pentagon as an “indefinite detainee” — an Obama administration designation originally conferred on 48 captives at the prison camps in Cuba.

Defense Department officials have not released the list of so-called indefinite detainees. Nor have they notified the men of their status as ineligible for either trial or release among the 171 captives currently held in Guantánamo.

But a Pentagon spokesman, Dave Oten, confirmed this week that the May 18 death of a captive known to his lawyers as Hajji Nassim and to the Defense Department as Inayatullah lowered the indefinite detainee tally.

“It’s a sad case, a very sad case,” said his Miami attorney Paul Rashkind on Tuesday. A federal public defender, Rashkind had been on the Afghan’s case for about a year. He said, though he had never been told of his client’s status as an indefinite detainee, he might have been able to persuade the government otherwise.

“We were hopeful that we would be able to complete a psychiatric profile of him and present that information to the government in the hopes they would release him,” said Rashkind.

The Pentagon had claimed that Inayatullah was an Al Qaeda emir in Iran who planned and directed the group’s terror operations. He got to Guantánamo in 2007, one of the last detainees sent there. Rashkind countered that the captive was never known as Inayatullah anywhere but in Guantánamo, never had a role in Al Qaeda and was in fact named Hajji Nassim and ran a cellphone shop in Iran near the Afghan border.

Guards discovered him early May 18 dangling from bed linen in a prison recreation yard in what the Southern Command in Miami described as a “suspected suicide.” Rashkind said his client had a history of psychological problems and spent long stretches in Guantánamo’s psychiatric ward.

The lawyer had several times obtained permission from administration officials to bring a private, civilian psychiatrist to the base to help with the case of the 37-year-old captive. Rashkind said had no doubts the death was a suicide.

In February, the military said Awal Gul, 48, another Afghan whose status was indefinite detention, collapsed and died of an apparent heart attack after working out on an exercise machine in a Camp 6 recreation yard. He had been held as a one-time Taliban official.

The remains of both men were repatriated within in days of their deaths for burial in Afghanistan. At the Southern Command, which supervises aspects of the detention center, Army Lt. Col. Darryl Wright said both deaths this year were still under investigation.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

crime

Pentagon names new Guantanamo war crimes prosecutor

June 23, 2011 09:13 PM

world

Another former Guantanamo detainee named to terrorist list

June 17, 2011 06:50 AM

world

Guantanamo captives ‘weaponize’ bodily fluids

June 16, 2011 05:12 PM

world

U.S. returns Guantanamo detainee's remains to Afghanistan

May 23, 2011 06:52 AM

world

Afghan Guantanamo detainee uses bedsheet to commit suicide

May 19, 2011 01:53 PM

world

Tip that led to bin Laden may have come from Guantanamo

May 02, 2011 06:35 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service