Pakistan detained, then released, many after bin Laden raid | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Pakistan detained, then released, many after bin Laden raid

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

June 28, 2011 05:29 PM

ABOTTABAD, Pakistan — In the two months since a U.S. special forces raid killed Osama bin Laden in this town, Pakistani authorities have arrested more than 30 people who either were suspected of having ties to the terrorist leader or were thought to have assisted U.S. authorities in tracking him down.

Pakistani authorities largely have been silent on whom they've detained, but the identities of some of those arrested are known. Most have been released.

At least five people suspected not of aiding bin Laden but of helping the CIA spy on the al Qaida chief's compound were arrested more recently. These include a retired army officer widely reported as neighbor Maj. Amir Aziz, whose house with two watchtowers would be an ideal place from which to observe the bin Laden compound. He, however, told McClatchy that he'd never been detained.

Coming reluctantly to the gate of his house to speak to a journalist, Aziz said he'd retired from the army.

"It's not me," he said, referring to news reports of an arrested army major, before shutting the gate.

A local police officer who'd arrived at the raid scene early, before Pakistani military units responded to it, is still in custody from the initial arrests.

The contractors who built the house, brothers Noor Muhammad and Gul Mada Khan, were arrested, then released and now have disappeared; it isn't known whether they were detained once more or they've simply fled Abbottabad.

A local man, Atta-ur-Rahman, known as Lala, who'd chopped down trees next to the bin Laden compound in the days before the U.S. raid, was arrested but has since been released. It had been suspected that he'd cut down the trees to clear the area for the American helicopters to land.

Wazir Dill, a doctor who'd treated children from the bin Laden house at his Abbottabad clinic, and a health worker, Bakht Jan, who'd visited the house to offer vaccinations for the children (she wasn't let in), were among those arrested and then set free.

The police also have released Shamraiz, who lived opposite the compound and worked there as an occasional gardener, but he declined to be interviewed.

Fahad Ali and Abbas Ali, Abbottabad residents taken in for their association with a religious organization, have been freed. So has Tahir Javed, who lived close to the compound and went over to help put out the fire that broke out during the raid May 2 by U.S. Navy SEALs.

An auto mechanic, Muhammad Babar, who used to repair the two vehicles at compound, was detained but has since been released.

A porter at the Ayub Medical Complex hospital in Abbottabad, Samar Shehzad, who was suspected of working as a driver for the bin Laden household, has been released after what seems to have been a case of mistaken identity. The man who delivered milk to the bin Ladens also has been let go.

At least three Abbottabad residents of Middle Eastern nationalities were picked up, along with 10 to 15 Afghan residents. Their fates are unknown.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Zawahiri's rise puts Pakistan in al Qaida crosshairs

Taliban raid on naval base raises new questions about Pakistan's military

Rumors swirl as Afghans say Taliban's Mullah Omar has moved

U.S. officials escape bin Laden revenge bombing in Pakistan

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service