Violent clashes in Cairo's Tahrir Square leave 66 injured | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Violent clashes in Cairo's Tahrir Square leave 66 injured

Mohannad Sabry - McClatchy Newspapers

June 29, 2011 12:11 AM

CAIRO — Hundreds of protesters clashed with Egyptian security forces in Cairo's iconic Tahrir Square early Wednesday as the security forces attempted to clear the square after hours of demonstrations by the families of the hundreds of people killed in the January 25th revolution that toppled President Hosni Mubarak.

About 3,000 protesters were still in the square when the violence broke at shortly after midnight.

"Give me a bottle," yelled one demonstrator as he dashed across the square. "I just filled my motorbike tank with gasoline. They think they can shoot us with tear gas, I'll show them what I have."

In the melee, at least 66 people were injured, 14 seriously enough to be taken to hospitals, the Egyptian health ministry said. Many of the injured had been struck with clubs wield by the security forces or with tear gas canisters fired into the crowd in hopes of driving them from the square.

The scene was chaotic. Armored vehicles rolled into the square while officers from Central Security, armed with bats, shields and shot guns, fired tear gas canisters and birdshot at the protesters who returned fire with rocks and broken sidewalk tiles.

Two of the protesters were caught in front of the American University building that fronts on the square and beaten before being handcuffed and dragged toward the personnel carriers.

The protests had begun Tuesday morning to mark the death Sunday of the latest victim of the violence during the anti-Mubarak demonstrations. Mahmoud Khalid Qutb hd been run over by a Central Security armored vehicle and had died at a downtown Cairo hospital after months of treatment.

Angry protesters called for continued demonstrations and the overthrow of the current caretaker government led by Gen. Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, Mubarak's longtime defense minister.

"What we are seeing is an attempt by the police force to return to power and authority," said Gamal Abdel Hakim, 44, a clothing factory worker. "They are defending the remainder of the former corrupt government, including Marshal Tantawi. We should finish what we started."

The demonstrators were egged on in the early morning hours by the imam of the Omar Makram mosque next to Tahrir Square. At 2:15 a.m. Sheikh Mazhar Shahin used the minaret's loud speakers that normally call the faithful to urge defiance.

"I call on the Tahrir youth to stand their ground and depart the square;" Shahim said. "I call on the police to fall back. I demand the police to fall back and release whoever they detained tonight; I call on the police to release the January revolution prisoners."

Shahin called on the protesters to go on strike in Tahrir square till their demands are fulfilled.

Later, when another leading cleric, Sheikh Safwat Hegazi, used the same loudspeakers to urge the protesters to go home, protesters turned their fury on the mosque.

Both sheikhs have been leading protests calling for fair and transparent trials of the former interior minister, Habib El-Adly, and the top officers of the police department who are blamed for the death of more than 850 people during the revolution.

The violence subsided when Egyptian Interior Minister Mansour El-Essawy announced at 3:38 a.m. that he had "ordered all security forces to pull out of Tahrir Square and to halt any contact with the protesters,"

El-Essawy added that he will "personally investigate any violations committed by any members of the police force."

The confrontation was the first violence between the security forces and protesters since May 15, when clashes outside the Israeli Embassy left dozens injured.

(Sabry is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Egypt's Islamists use charity to win friends - and votes

New Egypt? 7,000 civilians jailed since Mubarak fell

Egyptian celebrities who backed Mubarak become pariahs

Egypt sets Aug. 3 for Mubarak's 'trial of the century'

Egypt'ss hard-line Islamists speak up, creating unease

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. fares poorly in first modern polling of Egyptian views

June 25, 2011 02:59 PM

world

Egypt's government begins work on revamping constitution

February 08, 2011 06:02 PM

politics-government

Poll: Obama has public's support on his handling of Egypt

February 08, 2011 05:08 PM

world

Despite talk of concessions, Egyptian military cracking down

February 06, 2011 05:29 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service