Hugo Chavez makes surprise return to Venezuela | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Hugo Chavez makes surprise return to Venezuela

Sandra Sierra And Frances Robles - The Miami Herald

July 04, 2011 02:53 PM

CARACAS -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez slipped back to Venezuela during the night, making a surprise return early Monday morning after more than three weeks recovering from cancer surgery in Cuba.

"We are preparing a light rest now in the morning, because you understand that it’s the beginning of my return; it’s a strict medical check-up, medicine, rehabilitation, well, I look like a cadet,” Chávez told VTV state TV station. “I even am wearing the sports clothes from the military academy. Well, I’m very happy.”

Chávez, 56, left Venezuela for a three-country tour last month, and raised eyebrows when he stayed behind in Cuba. Initially, his administration insisted that he only had a pelvic abscess that had to be drained. On Thursday, a solemn Chávez gave a nationwide address admitting that doctors detected cancer. He said a second surgery removed a cancerous tumor, but did not say what kind of cancer he has, or at what stage.

Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro said the cancer has not spread.

Chávez admitted that he never listened to his doctors in the past -- and sometimes did the opposite of whatever they instructed. “Not now,” he said Monday.

Opposition lawmakers and experts here have insisted he either return or hand over power to Vice President Elías Jaua. Jaua refused, saying Chávez was in full control of the nation and operating legally from abroad. Jaua says Venezuelan law would allow the ailing former paratrooper to govern from outside the country for as long as six months.

Throughout the weekend, the Venezuelan government aired videos of Chavez visiting with his family and meeting with his cabinet.

In a video aired Monday morning, Chávez was shown at the Havana airport tarmac in the dark of night, warmly bidding goodbye to Cuban leader Raúl Castro. Upon landing at Caracas’ Maiquetia airport, he hugged his Vice President and broke into song.

“This reminds me of that song: ‘Maiquetia,’” he sang.

“Raúl and Fidel almost boarded the plane with me,” he said. “Venezuela and Cuba are the same thing, the same country -- the great country.”

He announced that he would speak to the public from the balcony of the presidential palace this evening.

Venezuela will celebrate its 200th bicentennial independence celebration Tuesday. Massive celebrations had been planned, and Chávez’s presence was considered important.

“I don’t think I can accompany you tomorrow at the official events, but I’m here and will be with you from my command post -- from the heart of Caracas, the heart of Venezuela,” he said. “The beginning of my return, until my full return.”

Read this story on MiamiHerald.com

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service