Latest car bombing kills 35 north of Baghdad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Latest car bombing kills 35 north of Baghdad

Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

July 05, 2011 09:04 AM

BAGHDAD — Thirty-five people were killed and 28 were wounded Tuesday in a twin bombing in Taji, a town 12 miles north of the Iraqi capital.

The explosions, one right after the other, were the latest in an escalating series of bombings that have claimed hundreds of Iraqi lives in the past two months. They seemed to promise a bloody next two months, a time of year when such bombings traditionally peak in Iraq.

Iraqi security officials said the first bomb exploded in a parked car around 10 a.m. near the town council building and the government office that issues identity cards. The second explosion followed at the same location.

No one took immediate responsibility for the blasts, which came at the peak time that residents would be visiting the buildings for official business.There were similar coordinated bombings last month, seemingly timed to hit police and medical personnel who responded to the first explosions, in the southern city of Diwaniyah and the western city of Ramadi. The Diwaniyah explosions June 21 killed at least 25 people, while the Ramadi blasts June 2 killed five people and wounded 27.

In May, 223 Iraqis — including 65 security personnel — died in insurgent assaults. In June the death toll was 204, including 54 security personnel.

Last year, bombings peaked in July and August. Last July, 534 people were killed, 37 of them security personnel, and in August, 363 died, 90 of them security personnel.

The speaker of parliament, Osama al Nujaifi, condemned the attacks Tuesday and urged security forces to do a better job protecting the people in the wake of recent violence against government institutions.

Nujaifi also demanded that security forces reveal the outcome of an investigation into previous attacks.

The bombings came as the United States reopened its consulate in Basra, Iraq's largest southern city and the center of the country’s rapidly growing oil industry. It's the first U.S. diplomatic mission there since 1967.

Jeffrey Feltman, the assistant secretary of state for near eastern affairs, took part in opening the facility. A consulate generally handles visa applications and other local matters.

(Hammoudi is a McClatchy special correspondent. Roy Gutman contributed to this article from Baghdad.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY More U.S. troop deaths raise questions about strategy

25 dead as Iraqi violence takes worrisome turn

Coordinated bombs leave five dead in Iraq's Ramadi

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.S. proposal to relocate 3,000 Iranian dissidents rebuffed

July 03, 2011 01:32 PM

world

Bombings kill U.S. contractor, 23 Iraqis in Baghdad

June 23, 2011 07:39 PM

world

25 dead as Iraq violence takes worrisome turn

June 21, 2011 06:18 AM

world

Militia set up within Iraqi ministry, Maliki says

June 15, 2011 04:37 PM

world

Another local council building attacked in Iraq; 8 dead

June 14, 2011 09:14 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service