Taliban kill 22 in attack in province considered peaceful | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Taliban kill 22 in attack in province considered peaceful

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

August 14, 2011 10:32 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Six Taliban insurgents equipped with suicide vests raided the governor's compound of Parwan province only miles from the largest U.S. base north of Kabul, killing at least 22 and injuring dozens of others in a gun battle that lasted less than an hour, the Afghan Interior Ministry said Sunday.

The apparent target of the attack was a security meeting chaired by the provincial governor, who gave a dramatic interview to Afghan television as the attack was taking place. "I'm inside," the governor, Abdul Basir Salangi, told Tolo News, As he spoke, gun battles raged in the compound and one of the attackers attempted to storm the governor's office. The attacker was shot dead, and Salangi was uninjured.

“The governor was the target," said Aziz Ahamad, an aide.

The attack began at around 11:30 a.m. in the provincial capital, Charikar, about 30 miles north of Kabul, when a car bomb, apparently driven by a suicide bomber, detonated outside the compound's entrance. Five attackers then stormed inside, the Interior Ministry statement said.

Officials said 16 civilians and six police officers were killed. At least 34 others, including 10 police officers, were injured. Two of the attackers blew themselves up and three others were shot dead by the police, the statement added.

Parwan is considered one of Afghanistan's most secure provinces and is home to the largest U.S. military facility in Afghanistan. A major highway that is supply route for U.S.-led NATO forces passes through the province from the central Asian republics of Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. It borders Panjsher province, where last month the U.S.-led coalition handed security responsibilities to Afghans as a part of security transition intended to allow U.S. forces to withdraw by the end of 2014.

The attack sent relatives of the dead and wounded flooding to the hospital in search for their relatives. “My cousin who was working as a manager in the governor compound has been killed in the attack, and I found his body in the hospital," Obaidullah Sediqi, a driver for the provincial council, told McClatchy by phone. 'There were several other bodies and I checked their faces till I found my cousin.'

Sediqi said he was still trying to determine the fate of his brother, who also was inside the compound.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on their website.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack. "The enemies of Afghanistan do not stop killing our people even in the holy month of Ramadan," his statement said.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service