Months after tainted elections, Afghan panel seeks ouster of nine | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Months after tainted elections, Afghan panel seeks ouster of nine

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

August 21, 2011 03:49 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — After months of controversy over the last year's tainted elections, an independent Afghan commission announced Sunday that nine members of Parliament will lose their seats and will be replaced by new members.

In December, President Hamid Karzai created a separate tribunal to sort out the allegations of fraud that dogged elections to the lower house of parliament since they were held in September. Karzai had sought to invalidate the fraudulent election of 62 MPs.

But critics alleged that many, if not most, of those 62 members were actually opponents of Karzai and that his action was an illicit attempt to remake the elections. In recent weeks, the United Nations quietly has intervened, hoping to influence the outcome of the commission's deliberations, McClatchy reported earlier this month. The UN had sought to overturn 17 contests.

In making the announcement Sunday, Fazel Ahamd Manawi, the head of Independent Elections Commission (IEC), noted the pressure on the commission, but said it played no role in its decision.

"Today we have taken a very difficult and tough decision in order to end the election dispute though there was pressure from certain circles within the government," Manawi told reporters in press conference.

The new MPs include eight men and one woman from different provinces across Afghanistan, including the volatile southern province of Helmand.

Afghanistan's parliamentarian elections were held last September but there were reports of fraud and rigging on the polling day, which triggered street demonstrations by failed candidates and forced president Karzai to set up the tribunal to investigate.

Some believe that the IEC's decision is the result of a compromise made among representatives of the president, IEC and international community.

Ahmad Zia Rafat, who served as spokesman for the Electoral Complaint Commission (ECC), believes that Sunday's decision was a violation of Afghan election law.

"Once the results are announced, no organization has the authority to change it," said Rafat, who is also a law lecturer at Kabul university. "It is not believed that this decision of the election commission will end the crisis, indeed we are entering another phase of crisis."

It was only about two weeks ago that Karzai in a decree gave full authority to the IEC to announce the final decision and put end to the electoral dispute.

"I am happy about the announcement, but our national process has been damaged. I was winner, but the Electoral Complaints Commission (ECC) delisted me, without any evidence," said Ashoqullah Wafa, a newly announced winner MP from the northern province of Baghlan.

In contrast, another MP, who lost his seat, called the IEC's announcement illegal.

"This is absolutely illegal decision, no one has the authority to bring changes in the result once it is announced, I don't think this announcement will be enforced," said Shaker Kargar, who was elected from the northwestern province of Faryab.

"It is based on a political deal between IEC chairman and the palace," said Kargar, who is on his second term. Gul Mohammad Pahlawan will replace Kargar if the decision of IEC is enforced.

"If he (Gul Mohammad Pahlawan) had votes he would have been announced as winner in the beginning, the ECC would not have removed him," said Kargar.

Zahir Qadir, who leads an opposition coalition in the parliament, said the decision is illegal and said that the election commission was swayed by powerful interests in Afghanistan. .

"This is decision is against the constitution, we will continue our struggle, and will not allow anyone to enter the parliament," said Qadir, who is represented the eastern province of Nangarhar.

Qadir has been protesting for two weeks in a tent set up next to the parliament building. He warned of further street protests if there is any change in the MPs list.

The United States has said it would support the decision of the IEC. In all, there were 249 races for the parliament's lower house last year.

Shukoor is McClatchy's special correspondent.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Roadside bombs kill 24 in western Afghanistan

U.N. pushes risky plan to resolve Afghan election impasse

Airstrike reportedly kills insurgent who downed U.S. chopper

Pentagon to reconsider landing Chinooks in battle zones

For more international news visit McClatchy's World page.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service