Roadside bomb kills 16 from one family in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Roadside bomb kills 16 from one family in Afghanistan

Habib Zohori - McClatchy Newspapers

September 27, 2011 03:24 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A minibus carrying civilians in the western province of Herat hit a roadside bomb Tuesday, triggering an explosion that killed 16 civilians, including children and women, provincial officials said.

A provincial spokesman, Muhiuddin Noori, said the dead included 11 children and four women, a toll that underscored, despite U.S. claims of improved security, how dangerous Afghanistan has become for civilians.

A United Nations report released earlier this year said that civilian casualties had increased by 15 percent in 2010, with 2,777 civilians killed, the deadliest year for civilians since the U.S. first sent troops here in 2001. The trend likely has continued in 2011.

The report attributed 75 percent of those casualties to the Taliban.

President Hamid Karzai condemned the killing in a statement and called it an "inhuman and terrorist" act. "With such cowardly killing of civilians they proved that they won't even spare children and women's lives," the statement said.

The victims were all members of the same family, Noori said. They were returning from a wedding when their minibus hit the improvised explosive device in the Shindand district of Herat province.

Most civilian casualties are caused by suicide bombings or IEDS, the Taliban's weapons of choice.

The Herat explosion happened just hours after a suicide bomber in the southern province of Helmand rammed an explosives-laden car into the main gate of the police headquarters in the province's capital, Lashkar Gah.

A provincial spokesperson said that two civilians, including a teenager, were killed and another 26, including 10 police officers, were wounded.

(Zohori is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

UN: U.S.-led forces killed fewer Afghan civilians last year

As U.S. pullout nears, Taliban bombs undermine Afghan army

Day that claims 28 lives shows range of Afghan violence

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service