At least 19 dead in Egypt church protests | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

At least 19 dead in Egypt church protests

Mohannad Sabry - McClatchy Newspapers

October 09, 2011 07:31 PM

CAIRO — A march by Coptic Christians turned deadly Sunday when protesters clashed with government forces in central Cairo, leaving at least 19 people dead and more than 200 injured in one of the bloodiest days in Egypt since the fall of Hosni Mubarak.

What began as a protest against restrictions on church-building — residents in Aswan, in southern Egypt, tried to block the construction of a Coptic church last week — quickly disintegrated into violence and underscored the sectarian tensions roiling a nation that is increasingly frustrated with the temporary military government.

Hundreds of mostly Christian demonstrators, some carrying crosses and pictures of Jesus, massed in downtown Cairo, where activists said they were attacked by thugs. The clashes drew in heavily armed military police, some of whom drove armored vehicles into protesters at full speed, television pictures showed.

"Worst day of my life," the prominent human rights activist Hossam Bahgat wrote on Twitter after seeing 17 bodies at the morgue at Cairo's Coptic Hospital.

The ruling military council announced a curfew from 2 a.m. to 7 a.m. Monday. Government forces raided coffee shops around central Cairo and ordered them to close, to keep demonstrators from gathering there.

State television appeared to take the side of the security forces, calling on "honest Egyptians" to come out into the street and "protect the army from the Copts." Activists described such statements as extremely worrisome and said they suggested an ongoing unwillingness by the ruling military to end the de facto discrimination that Egypt's sizable Christian minority faces.

The protest began when a few hundred people began marching from the Shobra district of Cairo, which has a substantial Christian population, toward the center of Cairo. Television images showed an army vehicle and police car that had been torched. Gunshots echoed on and off for hours as military police chased the protesters out of Cairo's main squares and into side streets.

The flare-up was the latest in a string of incidents demonstrating unhappiness with military rule and the increasingly strained relationship between Muslims and Christians since Mubarak was overthrown. In May, at least 12 people died in Cairo's Imbaba district when a mob attacked a church with machetes and Molotov cocktails.

"This is all happening at a time when the political class is in crisis, its confidence in the (military council) at an all-time low and the general population is so fed up of all the uncertainty and chaos that it is having buyer's remorse about the overthrow of Hosni Mubarak," the political analyst Issandr El Amrani wrote on his blog.

(Sabry is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Egypt's angry political groups say they'll boycott elections

September 29, 2011 07:03 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service