Blasts in Baghdad's Sadr City kill at least 18, wound 40 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Blasts in Baghdad's Sadr City kill at least 18, wound 40

Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

October 13, 2011 06:32 PM

BAGHDAD — Baghdad was shaken Thursday for the second day in a row by a series of bomb blasts that claimed at least 18 lives and left 40 people wounded.

Thursday's explosions came in the Sadr City district of eastern Baghdad, the stronghold of radical Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada al Sadr and his Mahdi Army militia.

They came the day after a series of explosions targeted mostly security facilities in the Iraqi capital, claiming the lives of 23 Iraqis and wounding more than 70.

Thursday's blasts began with the detonation of a so-called sticky bomb that had been attached to a parked car near a Sadr City market, said Hakim al Zamili, a Sadrist lawmaker and a member of parliament's Security and Defense Committee. "When people gathered, two other roadside bombs detonated," he said.

The two days of coordinated blasts underscored the fragile security situation in Baghdad just weeks before all U.S. troops are to withdraw from the country. Iraqi officials have requested that 5,000 American trainers stay on past Dec. 31, but they've said the trainers won't be granted immunity from prosecution under Iraqi laws, a condition that the United States previously has called a deal breaker. U.S. officials have said talks are continuing, but Iraqi President Jalal Talabani said this week that Iraq was waiting for a "yes or no" response.

Zamili, who was visiting the wounded in a hospital Thursday, blamed the explosions on the indifference of the country's security officials.

"The security officials don't really care about people and their lives because they live in the heavy protected green zone and they never feel the danger," he said.

Zamili said he expected even more attacks because terrorist groups had infiltrated the country's security forces.

(Hammoudi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

If you think Iraq's secure, read this about Wednesday's violence

Iraq says it's asked for 5,000 U.S. trainers, awaits reply

Iraq's F-16 buy is unlikely to be its last

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service