Colombia’s spy agency suspected in murder plot | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Colombia’s spy agency suspected in murder plot

Jim Wyss - The Miami Herald

October 18, 2011 06:55 AM

Shortly after a deadly car bomb failed to kill Sen. Germán Vargas Lleras in 2005, the country’s spy agency blamed the attack on leftist guerrillas and closed the case.

But according to a cache of secret documents obtained by Semana magazine, the scandal-plagued agency may have had a hand in the plot to kill Vargas, who is now the minister of interior and one of President Juan Manuel Santos’ closest advisors.

Citing the previously undisclosed communiqués, Semana said Colombia’s Administrative Security Department, or DAS, suspected the assassination plot had been an inside job and that one of its own agents had provided the explosives.

But the agency seemed to try to cover up its involvement by blaming the attack on the FARC, pulling the lead investigator and closing the case, the magazine said.

The agency also muddied the waters by releasing a composite drawing of a suspect and telling the media at the time that it had requested the FBI’s assistance in solving the case. It later emerged that the drawing was fictional and the FBI had never been contacted.

Vargas had been a close ally to President Alvaro Uribe at the time. The magazine does not speculate why he might have been targeted by the DAS.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service