Defenders want accused Cole bomber's jury told if acquittal equals freedom | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Defenders want accused Cole bomber's jury told if acquittal equals freedom

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

October 25, 2011 04:32 PM

In the war on terror detention system the Bush and Obama administrations built, a captive can be executed if he¡¯s convicted of a capital crime and kept forever if he¡¯s acquitted. And defense attorneys for the next alleged terrorist to be tried at Guant¨¢namo want jurors told this from the start.

Lawyers for Saudi-born captive Abd al Rahim al Nashiri made the request of the military commissions chief judge, Army Col. James Pohl, in a motion filed last week. The Pentagon unsealed it, uncensored, late Monday.

The defenders argue that that the American military officers in the jury pool should be told before they agree to serve at the war crimes court whether the Defense Department would still incarcerate Nashiri, even if found not guilty. Nashiri faces arraignment at the U.S. Navy base Nov. 9.

Some jurors might not want to serve in a system that does not grant a jury the power to free an innocent man, Navy Lt. Cmdr. Stephen Reyes and civilian defense counsel Rick Kammen argued in their six-page brief. Prosecutors have yet to reply

Nashiri, 46, allegedly orchestrated al Qaida¡¯s suicide bombing of the USS Cole naval destroyer off Yemen that killed 17 American sailors in October 2000.

¡°A trial, to be meaningful to society and the defendant, must hold the possibility of both punishment and reprieve for the accused,¡± the defenders wrote. ¡°But if the government intends to hold him in perpetuity regardless of the outcome, the sentence of death is the ¡Ìonly result that changes anything.¡±

The Bush White House had maintained that it could imprison indefinitely a Guant¨¢namo captive whom a military commission acquitted of war crimes ¡ª an interpretation that the Obama administration has also adopted.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service