Twin explosions in Baghdad neighborhood kill 36, wound 78 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Twin explosions in Baghdad neighborhood kill 36, wound 78

Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

October 28, 2011 04:21 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq — Thirty-six people died and 78 were wounded in two explosions Thursday night in the Iraqi capital, the highest casualty toll from an insurgent assault in 10 weeks, police said.

The twin explosions, which took place at an intersection in the Shiite majority Ur neighborhood in northeast Baghdad, were spaced 10 minutes apart, a familiar pattern intended to maximize civilian casualties. Most of those killed in the second bombing were in the crowd that collected at the scene of the first explosion.

Hasan al Rammahi was at his home in the neighborhood when he heard the first explosion and sent out Ameer, his 11-year-old, to buy food from a nearby shop.

But Ameer was at the wrong place at the wrong time, and he was among those injured when the second bomb detonated. Passers-by took him to a hospital, where he was reported in stable condition after suffering serious bleeding in his liver and large intestine.

"I saw many dead people, among them one of Ameer's friends, and the mayor of our neighborhood," Rammahi said. "The scene was very terrible. My son lost part of his large intestine and a finger. The doctors saved his life and I am very grateful to them," said the father, his voice weak and shaking.

Rammahi blamed Baathists — members of the party that supported the late dictator Saddam Hussein — for killing innocent civilians. The explosion showed that despite a nationwide wave of arrests of Baath party members, insurgents are still very active.

Sunni politicians were highly critical of the raids on Baathists that took place this past week. Deputy Prime Minister Salih al Mulaq said the arrests would have adverse consequences on the future of Iraq and the safety and unity of its people.

Gen. Hussein Kamal, the deputy interior minister for intelligence affairs, defended the arrest campaign as legal and aimed at improving security.

"All the arrests had been implemented according to arrest warrants issued by the judicial authorities based on intelligence information about illegal activities," Kamal told McClatchy.

Security forces in Nineveh province, north of Baghdad, announced a curfew, based on confirmed information that insurgent groups were targeting civilians and governmental facilities, Kamal said. He did not identify the groups.

Atheel al Nujafi, the governor of Nineveh province and the brother of the parliament speaker, Usama al Nujaifi, told McClatchy that the curfew was a bad decision because it will hurt the lives of ordinary people.

"The lives of our people in Mosul are more important than earning the daily bread," Kamal retorted.

(Hammoudi is a McClatchy special correspondent)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Saddam's home province declares regional autonomy in Iraq

Kirkuk is a 'land mine' where all sides want U.S. to stay

U.S. opens Kurdistan consulate as Marriott announces hotel

Iraq bombings add fuel to debate over U.S. departure

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service