Violence on the rise in Baghdad as U.S. drawdown continues | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Violence on the rise in Baghdad as U.S. drawdown continues

Sahar Issa - McClatchy Newspapers

November 28, 2011 02:45 PM

BAGHDAD — Two bombs and a rocket attack struck the Iraqi capital on Monday, just weeks before the final pullout of American forces from the country.

The explosions brought to 100 the number of people killed in the capital so far in November, up from 62 in October.

The deadliest blast — a car bomb driven by a suicide bomber — killed at least 11 people and wounded 26 others at the entrance to al Hoot prison in north Baghdad, security officials said.

Hours later, a magnetic bomb attached to a civilian car exploded near to the Baghdad International Fair Ground in central Baghdad, killing two civilians and wounding four.

A rocket slammed into the fortified Green Zone that houses the U.S. Embassy and the Iraqi government's offices just after 4 p.m. The rocket struck in a parking lot near the city's convention center, which houses the Iraqi parliament. No casualties were reported.

The attacks fed concerns that violence will rise after U.S. forces are withdrawn. The deadline for all American military troops to be out of Iraq is Dec. 31, though it's thought likely that the American withdrawal will be completed before then. Fewer than 20,000 American forces remain in Iraq.

Iraqis offered a variety of explanations for the attacks.

Ahmed Abbawi, a baker in Baghdad's Karrada district, blamed former members of the outlawed Baath party of Saddam Hussein and predicted they would make an effort to take control of Iraq after the U.S. withdrawal is complete.

"It is their best chance," he said. "The government is not really in control. I can't say for sure that the (Iraqi security) forces will be able to manage the situation. The situation is frightening."

Violence has tapered off since the height of sectarian fighting in 2006 and 2007, but it is still a near-daily occurrence.

Anees Majid, a college student, fears that Iran will be the biggest challenge after the American military is finally gone.

"With more than 100,000 soldiers in Iraq, America was not able to stop Iran from taking over Iraq," Majid said. "It is true that Iran is a neighbor and that we respect it, but this is our country and it is we who should be running it, not Iran. I am afraid that there might be more killing in order to control the Iraqi people, and we would be back to square one."

Despite the violence, Iraqi security officials say there is no reason to be concerned.

"I am positive that internal security is under control. Our forces have had many years experience now," said Adnan al Asadi, a deputy interior minister. Still, he admitted that many members of the security forces have links to armed groups, both Sunni and Shiite.

(Issa is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As U.S. troops leave Iraq, what is the legacy of eight years of war?

Bombings in Baghdad claim at least 15 lives as U.S. drawdown continues

President Obama on ending war in Iraq: "This holiday season will be a season of homecomings"

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service