Sudan says it will seize South Sudanese oil as talks fail | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Sudan says it will seize South Sudanese oil as talks fail

Alan Boswell - McClatchy Newspapers

November 30, 2011 06:05 PM

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia — Sudan vowed Wednesday to confiscate a portion of South Sudan's oil as it passes through a pipeline in Sudan as talks between the countries failed to produce any agreement on how to split oil revenues.

Sudanese officials defended the action as a reasonable step to bolster their country's flailing economy, which lost access to oil production facilities earlier this year when South Sudan became independent.

Several months of negotiations have failed to produce a deal on how much South Sudan should pay to move its oil north through a pipeline that runs through Sudan.

South Sudan denounced Sudan's plan, and mediators from other African nations expressed frustration that six days of talks hadn't ended in an agreement. Former South African President Thabo Mbeki oversaw the talks.

Sudan said it would take only a portion of South Sudan's oil and that the rest would be allowed to flow to ships for export.

South Sudan's chief negotiator, Pagan Amum, called the solution "extortion" and "looting" and said no agreement had been reached because Sudan was asking for too much.

According to South Sudanese officials, two shipments totaling 1.6 million barrels were delayed in Port Sudan but the ships have since been loaded and were expected to be released soon. One of those shipments belonged to a Chinese oil firm, prompting a rare public reproach by the Chinese Foreign Ministry in Beijing, urging both sides to keep the oil flowing.

Sudan pledged to continue negotiating, and said it wouldn't block shipments of South Sudanese oil.

"We are never going to shut down the pipeline. We will take from the oil in kind what we deem to be our dues," Said al Khatib, a senior member of the Sudanese delegation, said in an interview Wednesday. "We will stick to what we feel is our fair share."

Sudan won't grab more than 30 percent of the oil, Khatib said. Another member of the Sudanese delegation said it probably would be around 23 percent.

International reaction is still uncertain.

By the time the oil reaches Sudanese territory, the South Sudanese government already has sold it to a third-party buyer. Amum said he doubted that Sudan could stop foreign companies from claiming their paid-for commodity, and that he considered the latest news merely an intimidation tactic.

Sudan's Khatib said that would be a problem South Sudan would have to sort out with its business partners.

"This is something that they have been notified of. So when they sell, they know now that whatever they sell, some of that is ours. So they need to make that clear to the buyers," Khatib said.

(Boswell is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Four months into nationhood, South Sudan struggles

Violence on new South Sudan-Sudan border catches U.N. in the middle

Sudan still waging war in Nuba amid accusations of war crimes

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

South Sudan and Sudan at loggerheads over oil talks

November 22, 2011 06:07 PM

world

Four months into nationhood, South Sudan struggles

November 20, 2011 05:13 PM

world

Violence on new South Sudan-Sudan border catches U.N. in the middle

November 04, 2011 05:29 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service