Cuba's offshore oil drilling platform gets OK from Coast Guard, BSEE | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Cuba's offshore oil drilling platform gets OK from Coast Guard, BSEE

Juan O. Tamayo - The Miami Herald

January 11, 2012 06:48 AM

U.S. Coast Guard and environmental safety officials have inspected and OK’d an offshore oil drilling platform headed to Cuba, under an unusual arrangement designed to allay concerns about a possible spill that could foul the U.S. coastline.

The inspection of the Scarabeo-9 platform was completed Monday off the coast of the Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago by personnel from the U.S. Coast Guard and the Department of Interior’s Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE).

“The review is consistent with U.S. efforts to minimize the possibility of a major oil spill, which would hurt U.S. economic and environmental interests,” said a statement issued late Monday by the Interior Department.

Plans by the Spanish-based Repsol YPF oil company to use the platform to drill off Cuba’s northwestern shores, about 70 miles from the Florida Keys, have sparked U.S. concerns about a spill as well as the U.S. embargo’s impact on efforts to control any damages.

To ease the worries, Repsol invited the U.S. inspectors to check out the platform before it arrives in Cuba and has promised to meet all U.S. requirements when it starts to drill, even though Scarabeo will be operating in Cuba’s Exclusive Economic Zone.

The Scarabeo platform was built in China, with less than 10 percent of its components made in the United States, specifically to sidestep the U.S. commercial embargo on the island.

The Interior Department statement said the inspectors “reviewed vessel construction, drilling equipment, and safety systems – including lifesaving and firefighting equipment, emergency generators, dynamic positioning systems, machinery spaces, and the blowout preventer.”

“The review compared the vessel with applicable international safety and security standards as well as U.S. standards for drilling units operating in the U.S. Outer Continental Shelf. U.S,” the statement noted.

“Personnel found the vessel to generally comply with existing international and U.S. standards by which Repsol has pledged to abide,” although the review “does not confer any form of certification or endorsement under U.S. or international law.”

Cuba’s plans to drill for oil in deep waters off its northwestern coast have sparked fears among some environmentalists and some U.S. Congress members that oil spilled in Cuban waters could reach U.S. waters and coastlines.

The accident last year at the Deepwater Horizon, an offshore drilling rig similar to the Scarabeo platform, killed 11 workers and spilled hundreds of millions of gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico.

Repsol YPF has contracted with the Cuban government for the right to explore in a section of the Straits of Florida that is generally deeper than the area where the Deepwater Horizon exploded and sank.

To read more, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Cuba shows U.S. its response plans in case of oil spill

December 12, 2011 06:30 PM

HOMEPAGE

Read The Miami Herald's Cuba coverage here

February 03, 2011 06:53 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service