Jailed Cuban dissident Wilman Villar reportedly near death | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Jailed Cuban dissident Wilman Villar reportedly near death

Juan O. Tamayo - The Miami Herald

January 17, 2012 07:11 AM

A Cuban political prisoner is in a coma and near death from pneumonia he picked up when he refused to wear a prison uniform and went on a hunger strike, his wife said Monday.

“The doctors told me his death is imminent, that the only thing that can save him is a miracle,” said Maritza Pelegrino, the wife of Wilman Villar, a 30-year-old dissident who was serving a four-year sentence.

He “is in a coma and dying with pneumonia, and breathing only with a machine,” she told El Nuevo Herald by phone from the Juan Bruno Zayas Hospital in the eastern city of Santiago de Cuba.

His case has drawn strong expressions of support from other dissidents and comparisons with Orlando Zapata Tamayo, a political prisoner who died Feb. 23, 2009, after a hunger strike of more than 80 days.

“If this brother dies, the dictatorship will be responsible, just as it was responsible for the death of Zapata Tamayo,” said Jose Daniel Ferrer García, a leader of the dissident Cuban Patriotic Union.

Pelegrino and Ferrer said Villar joined the Union in October and was arrested Nov. 14 during a violent police crackdown on a group of dissidents in his hometown of Contramaestre in Santiago province.

In a closed-door, one-day trial Nov. 24, he was sentenced to four years in prison for disobedience, resisting arrest and contempt and was sent to Aguadores prison near the city of Santiago, his wife said.

Villar launched a hunger strike the next day and refused to wear the prison uniform because he believed he had been railroaded, said Pelegrino, herself a member of the dissident Ladies in White group.

“He has always been healthy, but he stood his ground,” Pelegrino said.

Government officials told her Villar refused treatment during the hunger strike, such as intravenous feedings, she added.

Authorities offered to free Villar if she broke with the Ladies in White, even though he already was in bad health at that point, Pelegrino added. And when she refused, they threatened to take away their two young daughters, she said.

He was transferred to the Zayas Hospital in Santiago only when his health was critical on Jan. 14, added Pelegrino.

“If something happens to him, the only guilty ones are the state security police,” she said.

Pelegrino’s description of her husband’s case showed some parallels with the case of Zapata Tamayo, whose mother alleged that he started a hunger strike to protest a prison beating, was denied water for 18 days and then was rushed to a hospital when it was too late to save his life.

Ferrer, meanwhile, reported that 16 dissidents remained in police custody as of Monday following crackdowns on attempts by the Ladies in White and others to stage a demonstration at the Zayas hospital.

To read more, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service