Details of Cuba's case against U.S. subcontractor Alan Gross leak out | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Details of Cuba's case against U.S. subcontractor Alan Gross leak out

Juan O. Tamayo - The Miami Herald

January 26, 2012 07:01 AM

A U.S. government subcontractor serving a 15-year prison sentence in Cuba slipped three satellite phones, three laptops and 13 Blackberry phones into the island, a court document in his case showed.

Alan P. Gross delivered the equipment to synagogues in Havana, Camaguey and Santiago de Cuba so that Jews could sidestep government controls on access to the Internet, the document noted.

He did not tell the recipients that a U.S. government program outlawed in Cuba had paid for the equipment, it added, and used two unwitting U.S. Jews to slip some of the gear into the island.

The Obama administration has repeatedly urged Cuba to free Gross as a humanitarian gesture. Cuba has said it wants a similar U.S. gesture toward five Cuban spies convicted in Miami as part of the “Wasp Network.”

The document, which appears to be the court ruling that found Gross guilty of actions against Cuba’s “independence or territorial integrity” last March, was first published last week by the Miami blog Café Fuerte.

Gross’ Washington attorney, Peter J. Kahn, said it showed there was no evidence that Gross was subverting the Cuban government, but declined to confirm its authenticity.

The 18-page document, summing up the evidence against Gross, 62, a humanitarian aid specialist from Potomac, Md., revealed some of the details of his case for the first time but left many questions unanswered.

Gross made five trips to Cuba in 2009 as part of his $258,274 contract with the Maryland-based Development Alternatives Inc., which had a contract with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to carry out pro-democracy work in Cuba, according to the filing.

Cuba has outlawed cooperation with the USAID programs, saying they are designed to subvert its government. U.S. officials say they only help pro-democracy activists but are “discreet” to avert Cuban retaliation.

The filing repeatedly noted that satellite phones bypass government controls and are difficult to detect because they link directly to satellites overhead. The Internet in Cuba is censored, slow and expensive.

Gross delivered the book-sized satellite phones, laptops, Wi-Fi routers and other communications gear to the three synagogues to give them independent access to the Web, the document added.

But he declared the satellite phones as “modems” when he landed in Havana, told some recipients that the equipment had been donated by the U.S. Jewish community and did not caution the two Jews that the gear they slipped into Cuba might land them in trouble, according to the filing.

Gross cooperated with Cuban investigators, and two USB memory sticks seized when he was arrested Dec. 3, 2009 contained documents detailing at some part of his involvement with Cuba, the document added.

During a visit in 2004, he allegedly delivered a video camera to Jose Manuel Collera, then a top-ranking Freemason who declared last year that he had been a Cuban intelligence agent since 2000. The filing gave no further details on this previously unknown Gross trip to Cuba.

Gross delivered the camera on behalf of the Pan American Development Foundation, which receives USAID funds for its Cuba programs. PADF is regarded as an arm of the 34-nation Organization of American States, although it is technically independent.

Marc Wachtenheim, at the time head of PADF’s Cuba programs, paid Gross $5,500 to buy a satellite phone, a laptop and a cell phone in 2007, the filing added. It did not say if Gross travelled to Cuba, if the gear was delivered or how.

Wachtenheim, now head of his own company, said he could not comment on his work for PADF but criticized Gross’ incarceration as unfair and defended the Cuba programs.

“Giving someone a laptop is not a crime anywhere in the civilized world — only punished in countries such as North Korea, Iran and Cuba,” he wrote in an email to El Nuevo Herald.

Gross was contracted in 2008 by Development Alternative Inc. to set up the three Wi-Fi nets in Cuba. And on March 30, 2009, he made the first of five trips to Cuba that year, according to the document.

It does not say when Gross came to the attention of Cuban police. But if it was not through Collera, those five trips would have made him a target. Only Cuban Americans and some organized groups, not individuals, could legally visit the island in 2009.

Gross’ seized documents repeatedly noted that his work was risky and at one point warned that if the satellite phones were discovered “it would lead to the confiscation of the equipment and arrest of the users.”

Kahn argued, however, that the document “is further confirmation of what we have said all along — the Cuban authorities cannot point to any action intended to subvert their government.”

“All this document evidences is that it was the USAID program that was on trial in Cuba,” he added.

To read more, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service