With violence rising, Arab League suspends Syria mission | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

With violence rising, Arab League suspends Syria mission

Hannah Allam - McClatchy Newspapers

January 28, 2012 06:17 PM

CAIRO — The Arab League suspended its Syria observation mission Saturday, saying it was too dangerous to continue, as battles between security and opposition forces raged just outside the capital, Damascus.

The Arab League has joined the United States and other powers in calling for Syrian President Bashar Assad to resign, but the embattled leader shows no signs of budging as a 10-month revolt pushes the country to the brink of civil war.

Arab League Secretary-General Nabil Elaraby said in a statement that he was suspending the mission, "given the critical deterioration of the situation in Syria and the continued use of violence." A final decision about whether the mission will end is expected within days.

Syrian state television said the regime "regrets and is surprised" by the suspension, news wires reported.

The Arab League sent teams of monitors to Syria to observe the implementation of an Arab-brokered peace plan that virtually all parties had deemed dead on arrival. Human rights groups criticized the mission chief's checkered past in Sudan, some monitors quit in protest of the regime's stage-managing of their tours, and protesters complained that the Arab League was only buying time for Assad.

Assad, meanwhile, has criticized the Arab League as useless and made little apparent effort to comply with the plan's call for violence from both sides to cease immediately. The regime continues to besiege rebellious towns and a growing number of rebels are fighting back, aided by army deserters who've formed the Free Syrian Army.

Fierce battles erupted Saturday in three rebel-held Damascus suburbs. The Reuters news agency, citing Syrian activists reached by telephone, reported that about 100 defectors had joined the rebels, bringing along three tanks they operated.

Activist groups say six residents were killed in the fighting. Syria's state news agency SANA said "terrorist groups" had killed seven soldiers in the Damascus suburbs. The reports could not be independently verified because of Syria's severe restrictions on media.

The United Nations said last month that Syrian security forces had killed some 5,000 people since the uprising began. The Syrian government says 2,000 of its forces had been killed in the same period.

Despite its failure to stop the bloodshed, the Arab League monitors' mandate was extended for another month. The mission began to crumble last week, when Gulf states withdrew their observers because of the lack of progress. Arab foreign ministers are said to be discussing a full withdrawal of monitors in a possible early end to the mission.

Diplomacy, sanctions and other international pressure so far have failed to resolve the crisis, forcing Western leaders to begin seriously considering some form of intervention, such as the NATO campaign that was vital to toppling Libya's late Moammar Gadhafi.

There's little appetite for such a move, however, with the U.S. in an election year and other players nervous about the risk of worsening regional instability with a direct attack on Assad's regime. U.S. archenemy Iran is Assad's main supporter and Syria shares borders with other volatile states such as Iraq, Lebanon and Israel.

Turkey, once a close ally of Assad, held talks in Istanbul on Saturday with several representatives of Gulf states, which have been the most vocal among Arab nations in their condemnation of Assad. A joint statement released after the meetings didn't endorse military intervention — but didn't rule it out, either.

"International efforts should be focused on bringing the bloodshed in Syria to an immediate end and paving the ground for the initiation of a political transition process in line with the legitimate demands and aspirations of the Syrian people," the statement said.

(McClatchy special correspondent Ipek Yezdani contributed reporting from Istanbul.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

6 Persian Gulf nations plan to pull peace monitors from Syria

Official: Syria has lost $2 billion in oil revenues

Syria's Assad slams protesters, Arab League in 2-hour speech

Follow Hannah Allam on Twitter

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service