Car bomb kills seven in southern Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Car bomb kills seven in southern Afghanistan

Ali Safi - McClatchy Newspapers

February 05, 2012 01:24 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A car bomb exploded Sunday near the police headquarters of the southern city of Kandahar, killing seven people and wounding at least 19, provincial officials said.

Five Afghan police officers and two civilians, including a child, were among the dead, said Javid Faisal, a spokesman for the Kandahar governor.

He said the blast occurred on a busy street where police officers and civilians park their cars.

"The car with explosives was parked in this street and was detonated by remote control," said Faisal.

Daud Farhad, director of Kandahar's Mirwais hospital, put the number of injured at 22, including six police officers. He said three of the police officers and four civilians were in a critical condition.

No one has yet claimed responsibility for the blast. Afghan President Hamid Karzai attributed it in a statement to the "enemies of the people of Afghanistan."

U.S. Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, said Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar was unwilling or unable to stop Taliban insurgents from victimizing Afghans, "otherwise he would enforce his own alleged 'orders' to reduce civilian casualties."

The U.S.-led coalition has made huge efforts in the past two years to stabilize the security situation in Kandahar and surrounding areas in Afghanistan's restive south, a traditional Taliban stronghold.

However, despite some progress with security there are still regular attacks on officials and government buildings in Kandahar.

The number of civilian casualties in the Afghanistan conflict reached record levels last year, according to a U.N. report released Saturday. The report said more than 3,000 civilians were killed in 2011 — up 8 percent from 2010.

The report said "anti-government elements" — shorthand for the Taliban and other insurgent groups — were responsible for 77 percent of the deaths.

"Anti-Government Elements used improvised explosive devices more frequently and more widely across the country, conducted deadlier suicide attacks yielding greater numbers of victims, and increased the unlawful and targeted killing of civilians," the report said.

A Taliban statement on Sunday said that the United Nations had consistently tried to cover up "the inhumane actions of the actual perpetrators of the ongoing Afghan war" — the U.S.-led international forces — "and to give legality, in one form or another, to all their crimes."

The statement did not directly address the U.N. report's claims about civilian deaths caused by Taliban operations.

But it said the report downplayed the number of civilian deaths caused by coalition operations, especially "the night raids of the invaders."

The U.N. was biased, the Taliban said, "so much so that some of your policies directly follow those of the White House."

(Safi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

ON THE WEB

The U.N. report on civilian casualties in Afghanistan

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Taliban responsible for 77% of civilian casualties in Afghanistan, U.N. says

Afghan soldier forged papers, deserted army before killing French troops

White House scrambles to ease fallout from Panetta's Afghanistan comments

French decision to accelerate exit causes some Afghans to question

U.S. combat in Afghanistan will end next year, Panetta says

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service