China denies latest Tibetan self-immolations happened in Sichuan province | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

China denies latest Tibetan self-immolations happened in Sichuan province

Tom Lasseter - McClatchy Newspapers

February 06, 2012 08:20 AM

BEIJING — Chinese officials denied reports that three ethnic Tibetans lit themselves on fire in protest against the government Friday, according to a story Monday in a state-controlled newspaper.

The Global Times, a tabloid considered to have nationalist leanings, quoted a Chinese Communist Party county committee secretary and a representative of a provincial-level Communist Party publicity department as saying there was no news of self-immolations occurring Friday in Sichuan province.

Wang Yongkang, the committee secretary for Seda County, known in Tibetan as Serthar County, said that while there had been rumors that ethnic Tibetans planned to commit self-immolations, “it has not happened,” according to the brief item in the Global Times.

U.S-funded Radio Free Asia and a London-based advocacy group, Free Tibet, said over the weekend that one Tibetan had died and two others were wounded after setting themselves aflame Friday at a remote village in Seda.

Stephanie Brigden, the director of Free Tibet, said in an email Monday that her organization stood by its report.

“We are confident of the accuracy of the information,” Brigden said. “It is not unusual for either the Chinese state through state media or officials to deny information."

If the fiery protests did occur Friday, they'd put the total since last March at 19 people who have self-immolated — 13 of whom are reported to have died, according to rights groups. The self-immolations, mostly by current or former Tibetan Buddhist clergy, are said to be in defiance of Beijing’s policies toward Tibetan religion and culture.

In its release on the incident, Free Tibet named the two survivors and their approximate ages but said that, “the identity of the Tibetan who died is unknown as are the details surrounding the self-immolations.”

In the past, more details have followed initial news of self-immolations as information trickles out of Tibetan areas of Sichuan. Internet service in those towns and villages often is cut and telephone calls are thought to be heavily monitored. Police checkpoints have sought to block foreign news media from reporting in the region.

The Chinese government routinely blames unrest in Tibetan areas on separatist forces led by the Dalai Lama. Tibetan advocacy groups say the problems can be traced to China’s authoritarian governance.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Three more Tibetans immolate themselves in apparent protest

Shouting, 'Long Live the Dalai Lama,' nun burns to death in Tibet

Tibetans' self-immolations lead China to crack down harder

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

McClatchy's China Rises blog

November 13, 2010 05:21 PM

world

Three more Tibetans immolate themselves in apparent protest

February 05, 2012 09:56 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service