Top US general meets Egyptian leader amid strained relations | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Top US general meets Egyptian leader amid strained relations

Hannah Allam - McClatchy Newspapers

February 11, 2012 02:29 PM

CAIRO — The Pentagon's top general met Saturday with the head of Egypt's ruling military council amid the fraying of bilateral relations over a criminal case against 16 American civil society workers.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey spoke with Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi and other members of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which has ruled Egypt since the ouster of Hosni Mubarak last year.

Official statements on the meeting gave no details on their talks about the grim backdrop of the visit — Egypt's crackdown on American nongovernmental organizations, or NGOs. Egypt is prosecuting 43 NGO workers from such U.S.-funded groups as the International Republican Institute and the National Democratic Institute. At least 16 Americans, including the son of U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, are among those facing charges of illegally receiving foreign funds.

Details on the meeting were scarce. The Egyptian state news agency MENA issued only a brief, vague item about Dempsey and Tantawi, saying that the generals discussed, "the depth of the strategic relationship between Washington and Cairo." The report made no mention of NGOs.

Privately, Pentagon officials said that Dempsey would deliver a stern message on the NGO issue. Publicly, the Pentagon struck a different tone, pitching the visit as a meeting of old friends. Marine Col. Dave Lapan, Dempsey's spokesman, said the NGO case was among a "wide range of issues" discussed.

"We will not, however, further describe the contents and nature of their private discussions," Lapan said in an email.

For decades, Egypt has served as a reliable U.S. ally — upholding a peace treaty with Israel and keeping Islamist radicals at bay — and in return received $1.3 billion each year in military aid from the United States. Outrage in Washington has prompted calls from the highest offices to cut that military aid if authorities don't ease the crackdown on American pro-democracy activists and stick to a timetable for handing over power to a civilian authority.

Sameh Seif al Yazal, a retired Egyptian general and frequent commentator on the military, played down the political dimensions of the problem.

He said the uproar in Washington over the case has obscured what he considers four simple linchpins of the case: some of the NGOs operated without licenses, some opened offices in other provinces without government approval, they received money through back channels, and allegedly funneled money earmarked for poverty and healthcare initiatives to U.S.-friendly political parties.

"It's not political. They broke the law," Yazal said. "If some Egyptian broke the law in the United States, they'd punish the Egyptian."

While the scrutiny of foreign NGOs began under Mubarak's regime, which blocked many of them from the proper registration process, the issue exploded on Dec. 29, when elite Egyptian forces raided offices belonging to 17 Egyptian and international NGOs.

Prosecutors accompanying the forces seized documents, computers, cell phones and financial records before sealing the offices. Only a handful of the 16 American defendants in the case still reside in Egypt; at least three are holed up at the U.S. embassy in Cairo to avoid arrest. Americans affiliated with the NGOs couldn't be reached for comment.

Yazal, the retired officer who's still close to members of the military council, said the generals had made their stand and should now let the matter play out quietly before a judge. And the Americans, he added, should continue high-profile interaction to make sure the fracas doesn't do irreparable damage at a time when U.S. policy in the Middle East is playing catch-up to the changes brought on by the Arab Spring rebellions.

"Egypt wants America and America wants Egypt, so this trivial matter won't affect the deep, long-term strategic relations between the countries," Yazal said. "It wouldn't be wise for either side to further complicate the issue."

Nancy A. Youssef contributed from Washington.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Egypt bars U.S. workers from travel, escalating crackdown

Egypt crackdown escalates, with raids on 17 rights groups

Cable: in Egypt, NGOs face registration quandary

Follow Hannah Allam on Twitter

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service