2 Afghans killed in bombing at base where U.S. soldiers burned Quran | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

2 Afghans killed in bombing at base where U.S. soldiers burned Quran

Ali Safi - McClatchy Newspapers

March 05, 2012 02:55 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Two Afghan civilians were killed and four wounded on Monday when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives at the entrance to the U.S.-run Bagram Air Base, where Qurans were burned by U.S. soldiers last month, local officials said.

"Two boys aged 14 and 15 were killed and four laborers were wounded," said Ayub Salangi, the governor of Parwan province, where the base is located.

Salangi said he had no information about casualties among the U.S. and international forces that use the base. A spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force, confirmed there was an explosion outside the base but said that the cause of the explosion was unclear and that there were no reports of coalition fatalities.

"We have no operational information about breaches to the compound," said the spokesman, Brig. Gen. Carsten Jacobsen.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which it said was carried out by a "holy warrior" in revenge for the recent burning of Qurans and other religious materials at Bagram.

The Feb. 21 incident angered many Afghans and sparked nationwide demonstrations that left at least 30 dead and more than 100 wounded, and seriously complicated U.S. plans to work closely with Afghan forces before handing security responsibilities over to them.

A Pentagon investigation last week found five soldiers responsible in the incident. U.S. officials have stressed that the incident was inadvertent, and there was no indication that the soldiers had violated military laws, but Pentagon officials were still determining whether they will face disciplinary action.

Afghanistan's Islamic Clerics Council responded Friday by condemning the Quran burnings as a "satanic act" that was unforgiveable. It said in a statement that those responsible should be publicly tried and punished.

In a separate suicide attack Monday in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, one Afghan intelligence officer was killed and 11 people wounded, including eight civilians, the Ministry of Interior said.

A suicide bomber approached a checkpoint in the center of the city where security personnel were checking vehicles for illegal weapons, and his explosive vest detonated, according to Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the spokesman for Nangarhar's provincial governor.

(Safi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

5 U.S. soldiers responsible in Afghan Quran burnings

2 more U.S. soldiers killed by Afghan partners

Violence suggests 'Afghans hate us, and we don't trust them'

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service