Big suicide bomb plot allegedly involving Afghan soldiers uncovered in Kabul | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Big suicide bomb plot allegedly involving Afghan soldiers uncovered in Kabul

By Jon Stephenson - McClatchy Newspapers

March 27, 2012 08:33 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghan authorities arrested as many as 18 people, including more than a dozen soldiers, after thwarting a major suicide bomb attack in Kabul on Monday, according to Afghan intelligence officials cited Tuesday by local and international media.

Afghanistan’s Khaama Press quoted officials as saying that 11 suicide vests had been seized at buildings inside the Ministry of Defense compound, which is located in a high-security area of Kabul near the headquarters of the U.S.-led coalition and the presidential palace.

The BBC said that six Afghan National Army soldiers were arrested at the Defence Ministry. The British broadcaster said vests apparently were intended to be used in an attack on buses used to transport ministry personnel to and from work.

The Defense Ministry dismissed the reports as “absolutely untrue,” but other news sources reported that the ministry was locked down on Tuesday because of the plot.

“We completely reject the claim that explosive vests were seized within the ministry of defense,” the ministry’s deputy spokesman, Dawlat Waziri, told McClatchy. “We also reject the claim that any ANA soldiers were arrested. Such an incident has not happened, neither yesterday nor today.”

An official at the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), the name of the U.S.-led coalition, told McClatchy that ISAF had asked the defense ministry about the reported bomb plot. The ministry had denied the reports, said the ISAF official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject.

The reported bomb plot and arrests revived fears that Kabul may face a fresh wave of insurgent attacks like those that struck the capital last year. Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel, the British Council offices, and the U.S. embassy were among the high-profile buildings targeted in those attacks.

The plot will also renew concern in the U.S.-led coalition about the reliability of Afghan security forces, who will take over responsibility for the Afghanistan’s security when coalition combat troops leave by the end of 2014.

Earlier this year, two American soldiers were shot dead inside Afghanistan's Interior Ministry. Last April, a gunman killed at least two Afghan soldiers inside the Defense Ministry as it was being visited by the French defense minister.

(Stephenson is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service