3 U.S. soldiers among dead in northern Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

3 U.S. soldiers among dead in northern Afghanistan

Ali Safi - McClatchy Newspapers

April 04, 2012 11:07 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Three American soldiers were among at least nine people who were killed Wednesday when a suicide bomber wearing civilian clothes blew himself up in the northwestern Afghan province of Faryab, local officials said.

The blast, which wounded at least 26 others, occurred near a crowded market in Maimanah, the provincial capital, said Faryab’s governor, Abdul Haq Shafaq. The U.S.-led military coalition said three of its soldiers had been killed it but didn’t specify nationalities; Afghan officials identified them as Americans.

The attack in a usually calm province was the latest in a recent spike in Taliban assaults that appears to mark a reopening of hostilities with the arrival of spring, when warmer weather in Afghanistan tends to lead to greater violence.

A team of coalition soldiers and Afghan policemen was in Maimanah talking to locals when the bomber, traveling on foot, set off the explosion, Shafaq said. He said the soldiers were transported to a nearby coalition base for treatment.

There were conflicting descriptions of the other fatalities. The director of Faryab’s Health Department, Abdul Ali Aleem, said six civilians had been killed and that they, along with 26 wounded, were taken to Maimanah hospital.

However, the provincial police chief, Abdul Khaliq Aaqsay, said two of his officers were among the dead.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the bombing, saying in a statement that “16 invaders and 12 puppets” were killed, a reference to coalition soldiers and members of Afghanistan’s security forces, respectively. The Taliban typically exaggerate casualty counts.

“The attack was carried out by a lion of the Islamic Emirate,” spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi said, using the name for the Taliban movement.

Wednesday's bombing followed three attacks Tuesday in the south and east of Afghanistan in which three members of the International Security Assistance Force died. The ISAF said homemade bombs had killed two of the service members, but it wouldn't provide details of the incidents.

So far this year, 101 coalition troops have been killed in Afghanistan, including 60 Americans, according to the website icasualties.org, which tracks military fatalities.

(Safi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Lewis-McChord soldiers in Afghanistan see sudden action

Only one shooter likely in Kandahar killings, Afghan investigator says

At southern Afghan outpost, U.S. soldiers prepare for transition

For more coverage visit McClatchy's Afghanistan and Pakistan page.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service