French soldiers killed, wounded in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

French soldiers killed, wounded in Afghanistan

Jon Stephenson and Ali Safi - McClatchy Newspapers

June 09, 2012 10:54 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Four French soldiers were killed and five wounded on Saturday in the eastern province of Kapisa, the French government said.

The deaths are likely to increase the pressure on France’s newly-elected president François Hollande to fulfil his promise to withdraw his country’s combat troops from Afghanistan by the end of this year.

Hollande’s office said in a statement Saturday that three of the wounded soldiers were in a serious condition and an investigation into the attack had begun, but offered few other details about the incident.

However, Afghan officials said a suicide bomber on foot had attacked a French patrol in the village of Jorghal in Nijrab district, wounding three Afghan civilians as well as the soldiers.

Nijrab police chief Haji Aleem Khan told McClatchy that the bomber, who struck just after 9am, had used a burqa to disguise himself when he launched his attack. Both Khan and Nijrab district chief Sultan Mohammad Safi put the number of French fatalities at six.

The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), as the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan is formerly known, would only confirm that four of its service members had been killed “following an insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan.”

The Taliban in a website statement claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that it was carried out by one of its mujahideen (Islamic holy warriors) named Matiullah. It said the attacker, who was wearing an explosive vest, had killed 12 French soldiers and four Afghans, and wounded others.

However, the Taliban is known to routinely exaggerate the number of casualties it inflicts on ISAF and Afghan government forces.

Security in some areas of Kapisa – which borders Kabul province, to the northeast of the Afghan capital – has reportedly deteriorated in recent months. French troops, who have had responsibility for security there, are in the process of passing control to Afghan forces.

The initial decision to accelerate the withdrawal of French combat troops from Afghanistan was sparked by a “green-on-blue” attack in January, when an Afghan army soldier shot dead four of his French counterparts at a joint French-Afghan base at Kapisa. A fifth soldier later died from his wounds.

Then-president Nicolas Sarkozy brought the troops’ departure date forward by a year, to the end of 2013. Hollande, his successor, has resisted pressure from the White House to back away from his pledge to withdraw them 12 months earlier.

France, with a force of 3,300 in Afghanistan, is the fifth-largest troop contributor to ISAF.

Also on Saturday, ISAF reported that one of its service members had died after an improvised explosive device attack in eastern Afghanistan. The coalition refused to release any further details.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service