Bomb attack kills 6 in Afghanistan’s Kapisa province | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Bomb attack kills 6 in Afghanistan’s Kapisa province

By Jon Stephenson and Ali Safi - McClatchy Newspapers

June 18, 2012 12:00 AM

Four police officers and two civilians were killed Monday when Taliban insurgents exploded a remote-controlled bomb in eastern Kapisa province, local officials said.

The blast – which occurred before midday at a bazaar in the town of Tagab, the capital of Kapisa’s Tagab district – also wounded 13 civilians, district police chief Col. Sher Shah Yousufzai said by phone from the scene. However, a statement by Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry put the number of wounded at 17. It said the dead included an Afghan Local Police commander and his son.

The wounded were taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, the ministry’s statement said.

Security in some areas of Kapisa – which borders Kabul province, to the northeast of the Afghan capital – reportedly has deteriorated in recent months. Tagab is one of several insurgent strongholds in the province and the site of many attacks on Afghan government and foreign coalition forces.

French troops, who’ve had responsibility for security in Kapisa, are in the process of passing control to Afghan forces, and will be withdrawn by the end of the year. Four French soldiers were killed and five wounded in Kapisa’s Nirjab district earlier this month when a suicide bomber attacked a French patrol, also wounding three Afghan civilians.

In January, four French soldiers were shot dead by an Afghan counterpart at a joint French-Afghan base at Tagab. A fifth soldier later died of his injuries.

The January incident prompted France’s then-president, Nicolas Sarkozy, to move up the deadline for his troops’ departure from Afghanistan by one year, to the end of 2013. Francois Hollande, Sarkozy’s recently elected successor, pushed the withdrawal date up a second time, to the end of 2012, over opposition from the White House.

Also on Monday, the International Security Assistance Force, as the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan is formally known, said one of its service members had died of wounds after an insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan. The ISAF refused to provide details about the location of the attack or the nationality of the service member.

Separately, the ISAF said it had no confirmation of a report that two Italian soldiers were wounded Monday after their patrol in western Afghanistan was targeted by a homemade bomb.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service