Hamas sends rocket barrage at Israel one day after Qatar’s emir visits Gaza | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Hamas sends rocket barrage at Israel one day after Qatar’s emir visits Gaza

By Sheera Frenkel - McClatchy Newspapers

October 24, 2012 06:00 PM

Hamas militants fired more than 70 rockets into southern Israel on Wednesday, one day after the emir of Qatar became the first head of state to visit Gaza since Hamas seized control there five years ago.

Three Thai workers on an Israeli farm were wounded – two seriously – when a missile struck a chicken coop near the Gaza border, officials said. Israel responded with a series of airstrikes on rocket launchers, killing two Palestinian militants, according to medical officials in Gaza.

Beyond the human toll, however, Israeli officials worried that the visit by Sheik Hamad bin Khalifa al Thani had emboldened Hamas and signaled an end to Israel’s ability to isolate the coastal strip. The emir announced that his country would invest $400 million in a construction program for Gaza.

Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said that the visit could send no other message but “clear support for terror and terrorist activity.” A spokesman for his office said Israel was preparing for a sharp escalation in violence.

Israeli military spokeswoman Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich declined to connect the visit to the rocket attacks, saying it’s “something internal to Gaza so I’ll leave it to them.”

She said, however, that more than 550 rockets have been launched from Gaza at Israel so far this year. “These organizations don’t need special motives to target” Israel, she said.

Israeli officials this week were obviously concerned about the message the emir’s visit would send.

"This is more than strange, especially since Hamas is internationally recognized as a terror group," said Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor. "By hugging Hamas publicly, the emir of Qatar has thrown peace under the bus."

The Qatari royal family has long sought a role in the Palestinian territories, where governing is divided between the Fatah movement in the West Bank and Hamas in Gaza. Hamas also has become part of the efforts by Sunni Muslim states such as Qatar to undercut Iranian influence, exemplified by the alliance between Shiite-ruled Iran and Syria, whose president, Bashar Assad, is a member of the Alawite religious sect, an offshoot of Shiism.

Hamas earlier this year abandoned its longtime headquarters in Syria, and Qatar has been providing funding and weapons to Syrian rebels battling to topple Assad.

“We are seeing a regional play for power here and Gaza is a piece of the chessboard,” said one Israeli government official, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the subject. “This is not good for Israel because it raises Hamas’ bargaining power.”

Hannah Allam contributed to this report from Washington.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service